IPC$ and ADMIN$ won't start

JohnC

2000 Advanced Server.......on every reboot I have to
start IPC$ and ADMIN$ from command prompt. This machine
may have been compromised once upon a time, and used as a
mail relay server. Spent 2 hours on phone with tech
support, but the machine simply refuses to start these
shares automatically. Help?

Salt_Peter

IPC$ is not a share, it's a remote procedure call used to authenticate
users. InterProcess Communication is the full name. I'ld suggest running an
"sfc /scanonce" + reinstall service packs for starters. Verify your registry
Run keys for possible trojans, run a recent virus image check and tighten
the security on the system.

Curtis Koenig [MSFT]

Hi John,
You might want to check out the following KB:
318755 HOW TO: Restore Administrative Shares That Have Been Deleted
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q318755

This should help you verify that the registry on the machine in question
for these shares exists properly.
__
Curtis Koenig
Microsoft Clutering Technologies Support
MCSA, MCSAS,MCSE, MCSES

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!