Internet banking problem

CaroleD

With my new Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook, with VISTA, I can't access my
online banking. I can get through the security pages of the banking site,
but once I type in my account number and PIN, I get the message that
Internet Explorer can't display the page. I've tried disabling Norton, I've
lowered the security and privacy levels of Internet Explorer, and I've
checked and unchecked many different combinations of SSL and TLS. My bank
(credit union, actually) says I shouldn't be having a problem and they don't
know what to suggest. I have no problems with the site with my desktop
which uses Win XP. I don't know if it's a Norton problem or a VISTA
problem. I'm not a computer-wiz but I'd appreciate any suggestions that a
novice could follow for solving this problem. Thanks.

CaroleD

I guess I may have to resort to that. From what I understand, sometimes
Norton doesn't even uninstall itself correctly! I use AVG-Free on my other
computers, but this one came with 456 days of Norton pre-loaded, so I had
decided to leave it on until it ran out. Thanks for your help.

kevin forsythe

I had both the Vista version of Norton Internet Security & Norton
confidental. 2007 . and ran into the same problem
I was able to get around the problem by going into the GUI and disabling the
firewall, intrustion protection, auto protection crimeware , spyware
malware, phifing filter., email scanning (you don't need to manually stop
services) then closing IE, and visting the sites again

CaroleD

Do you do this every time you need to do banking, or do you just leave all
those things disabled?
I had disabled most of those things in Norton Internet Security, although
maybe not ALL of them.

navilyninc

Carole,

Am with Georgia Federal Credit Union, and have the EXACT same issue.
But, I DON'T have Norton installed (AVG, free). I even turned off the
Windows Firewall, and still could not get the screen that shows my
account details (i.e. the amounts, etc) to show up. I emailed GFCU,
and they say, "It's should work". Yeah, right...

On my XP pc, it works fine. So, that tells me it's a security issue on
Vista, but what, is the real question.

CaroleD

Good to know!!! I have an e-mail dialog going on with the manager of
Georgia Federal Credit Union now, and he says they're setting up some
computers with VISTA to try it out. The more e-mails they get saying
there's a problem with online banking and VISTA, the more they're going to
recognize that they need to do something. Try e-mailing
(e-mail address removed) and let him know the problem. He's the one I'm having
the dialog with right now.

Carole,

Am with Georgia Federal Credit Union, and have the EXACT same issue.
But, I DON'T have Norton installed (AVG, free). I even turned off the
Windows Firewall, and still could not get the screen that shows my
account details (i.e. the amounts, etc) to show up. I emailed GFCU,
and they say, "It's should work". Yeah, right...

On my XP pc, it works fine. So, that tells me it's a security issue on
Vista, but what, is the real question.

CaroleD - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW GA
My quilts, crafts, pets, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle/

?

=?windows-1252?Q?JDa=99=A9?=

One thing you might want to try is to install either the Firefox or
Netscape browser, then see if you can make the connection. If you *do*
make the connection, then the problem could be with the server. Some
web servers check the type of browser you are using, and could be
confused about the header being sent from IE7. In this case I would
venture to say that the server is not reporting the correct error.
If installing one of the other browsers does work, then the staff at the
Bank has not correctly planned for Vista/IE7.
If installing one of the other browsers still does not work, then its on
your end.

CaroleD

I doubt that Internet Explorer 7 is the problem, because I'm using that on
my Win XP computer and the Credit Union banking doesn't have any problem
with that. It's just on the new computer with VISTA, and now there seems to
be at least two of us with VISTA at the same credit union, both with the
same problem. Make me think it's the Credit Union. I don't want to mess
around with uninstalling and reinstalling just yet, or putting another
browser on at this point. I want to wait to see what the techs at the
Credit Union come up with.