Intellipoint 4.12 and ZoneAlarm (TrueVector Internet Monitor Service) freezes point32.exe

G

-- Intellipoint 4.12 and ZoneAlarm (TrueVector Internet Monitor Service) freezes point32.exe

Since I cannot find even mention of this problem through Google searches, TechNet, MSDN, or Microsoft KnowledgeBase searches, I think it's time to start the discussion myself. :)

I have been having an issue with point32.exe hanging sporadically, but more noticeably, when trying to use the scroll-wheel. This seems to occur after a half hour after re-booting and you cannot end the point32.exe process when it freezes (which I found strange).

Using "msconfig" to disable all services and start-ups (and, one by one, re-enable them), I think I've narrowed the culprit down to the ZoneAlarm TrueVector Internet Monitor Service. If this is the only service that I disable, I seem to have no problems with point32.exe. I can use my Intellimouse button mappings (Left-button: double-click, Wheel-button: Close Application, Right-button: Back) and scroll-wheel without any problems.

Since Intellipoint 5.0 is such a step backward in functionality, I do not see using it as an alternative to the 4.12 software. I really can't live without either ZoneAlarm or my Intellipoint 4.12 functionality. Can someone pleeease help?

Background:

- Dell Optiplex GX270 computer (also happens on another PC, Gigabyte 7DXR+ motherboard)
- Windows XP Professional SP1a
- Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Mouse(5-button, using USB natively, not PS/2 adapter)
- ZoneAlarm Pro with Web filtering 4.5.530

Your help is appreciated.

Y

Yves Leclerc

Intellipoint needs to have access to the Internet. The software "seems" to
check for updates.

Terry said:
-- Intellipoint 4.12 and ZoneAlarm (TrueVector Internet Monitor Service) freezes point32.exe

Since I cannot find even mention of this problem through Google searches,
TechNet, MSDN, or Microsoft KnowledgeBase searches, I think it's time to
start the discussion myself. :)
I have been having an issue with point32.exe hanging sporadically, but
more noticeably, when trying to use the scroll-wheel. This seems to occur
after a half hour after re-booting and you cannot end the point32.exe
process when it freezes (which I found strange).
Using "msconfig" to disable all services and start-ups (and, one by one,
re-enable them), I think I've narrowed the culprit down to the ZoneAlarm
TrueVector Internet Monitor Service. If this is the only service that I
disable, I seem to have no problems with point32.exe. I can use my
Intellimouse button mappings (Left-button: double-click, Wheel-button: Close
Application, Right-button: Back) and scroll-wheel without any problems.
Since Intellipoint 5.0 is such a step backward in functionality, I do not
see using it as an alternative to the 4.12 software. I really can't live
without either ZoneAlarm or my Intellipoint 4.12 functionality. Can someone
pleeease help?

G

Thanks. I've read that before. I actually noticed that on my home PC, I have authorized full access to the internet for Microsoft Intellipoint and Point32.exe, but my work PC (where I'm experiencing the problem) I didn't have the rule set for point32.exe.

The strange thing is that I also have an "expert" rule set on the program access to log and alert any access request from these programs and I have yet to see an attempt

I will let you know if the new access setting fixes the issue.

Ask a Question