Windows XP Int Explorer 8 has made Google search panel tiny

Reaction score
I have just downloaded/installed IE 8 - all is well except that my Google home page now has a very small entry panel that stays miniscule when I switch to Advanced Search, so small that I can not see anything I try to type. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas how to correct this?

thanks.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your quick response (noted about 2x post but found the IE8 forum b4 realising it was old).

It's the google.uk home page, which is set as my IE homepage. This now has a miniscule central search entry panel with two miniscule icons below (can't see what those are) and the 3 lines of text Advan Search/Prefs/eang are normal size but squuezed on top of next line belo '.... pages fromthe UK'

Reaction score
If this problem has not been reported previously with IE 8 then I fear it is my local prob and not IE 8 related. Just strange that it happened immediately on reboot after installing IE8.

Reaction score
BUT- have just checked Firefox and google home page loads/shows normally. So I 8 IE 8 at the moment. any suggestions on IE 8 welcomed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did compatability mode have any effect on it? :)

If not, can you post a screenshot so I can see what you mean please?

Reaction score
Compatabilty did not resolve the matter. In fact eventually neither Int Exp or Firefox would run. I was able to download and install Firefox via another PC. Firefox now running OK but Int Exp fails to run - crash message shows ....
Instruction at "0x7c911760" referenced memory at "0xff000000". The memory could not be "read". having been able to further research this I find that even MS are aware of major problems with IE 8 and even provide extensive instructions on how to uninstall I E 8. I downloaded and attempted to reinstall IE 7 but although the install/update/restart runs fully IE7 (or maybe 8) crashes on startup. I have attempted to delete iuexplore.exe from Int Explorer directory but it reappears each time I reenter the directory. MS suggest that one needs to uninstall all Int Exp updates before being able to uninstall Int exp but I am loath to do that as at second update delete I get warning about many other progs not running. wow, hope you can follow all that.
BUT I think there should be a warning on your website - STAY AWAY from Int exp 8 ........

Reaction score
Ok - after searching the web and MS I can say that IE8 currently is in a dangerous state and has corrupted hundreds of PCs, even those of well experienced and capable users. It is often IMPOSSIBLE to get back to a stable IE7 or IE6. MS should be ashamd of continuing to recommend upgrading to IE8. This website would do well to warn all users. Thanks for your commenications so far.

Reaction score
I encountered the exact same problem and I am a bit surprised at not finding more information about this considering I have waited a considerable amount of time before installing IE8.

Somebody above requested a screen shot so here it is:

tinysearchbar.jpg

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Did compatability mode have any effect on it? :)

If not, can you post a screenshot so I can see what you mean please?
Sorry not to have replied to you before Ian. Maybe I missed the email alerting me to your post? but I'm sure i did not get one although I did get the latest by creditor48.

Anyway, my prob has now been sorted after 3 days and 10 hours on phone with excellent MS techies. BUt they could only part sort the mess caused by IE 8 by giving me a nice new MS Office Pro 2007 to replace my Office Pro 2003 that was corrupted by the IE 8 fiasco. Not only was my IE7 unrecoverable but my Outlook was screwed as well hence the new Office Pro.

BUT I am now stuck with only IE6 as even MS Research Techie was unable to correct the missing/corrupted files resulting from IE8.

Now it may be that some of my Windows files were already corrupted and I had not really noticed (as you know there are zillions of the bloghters) but CERTAINLY IE 8 should not yet be recommended for widespread dowload.

SCARIEST thing is I see that it is now showing up in auto Windows updates.

IE8 may be great IF you have a pristine set of Windows/Visat files. If you do end up with IE problems then it is such a hassle to do a Windows disc reboot and start again, it is far easier to forget IE and go with Firefox.

Reaction score
Okay, got this one figured out. Tools> Internet options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable visual styles"

Still can't see the words on the drop down menus of Page, Safety, or tools on the command bar but that doesn't really bother me as any of those features that I am interested in are accessable in other ways.

Peace!

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, however there is no compatability button visible anywhere. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing 3 or 4 times now with no effect, oh and all the drop down menus are empty

Ask a Question