installing services packs on top of hotfixes

paul

Hi,

I want to upgrade the service pack on a w2k server but
have already installed hotfixes that came out after the
service pack was released. I have read a KB article about
suppressing warning messages but would not do that as I
want to know which files may cause problems. Can I just
install the service pack over the hotfixes and then
reapply any hotfixes that are listed in the svcpack.log
mentioned in the KB article. If it is neccessary to remove
hotfixes can this be done if several were installed
simultaneously from the windows update site.

Regards
Paul

Gerry Hickman

Hi,

A more interesting question would be

"what happens if I install a service pack over patches that were
released after it (and don't re-apply the patches!)"

I'm fairly sure you can do what you're saying below; apply the SP and
then any patches that supersede it.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your posts!

Based on my research, Windows 2000 service packs perform version checking
on files so that post Windows 2000 SPn hotfixes (where n is the service
pack version number) remain in place and do not need to be reapplied after
installation of the service pack.

For example, SP4 does not contain Security Update MS03-026, but we can
install the MS03-026 patch before or after installing SP4.

Reference:
==============
274215 Not Necessary to Reinstall Windows 2000 Service Packs After System
State
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=274215

I hope the above information helps. Thanks and have a nice day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:31:33 +0100
|From: Gerry Hickman <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: installing services packs on top of hotfixes
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
|Hi,
|
|A more interesting question would be

|"what happens if I install a service pack over patches that were
|released after it (and don't re-apply the patches!)"
|
|I'm fairly sure you can do what you're saying below; apply the SP and
|then any patches that supersede it.
|
|paul wrote:
|> Hi,
|>
|> I want to upgrade the service pack on a w2k server but
|> have already installed hotfixes that came out after the
|> service pack was released. I have read a KB article about
|> suppressing warning messages but would not do that as I
|> want to know which files may cause problems. Can I just
|> install the service pack over the hotfixes and then
|> reapply any hotfixes that are listed in the svcpack.log
|> mentioned in the KB article. If it is neccessary to remove
|> hotfixes can this be done if several were installed
|> simultaneously from the windows update site.
|>

|> Regards
|> Paul

|--
|Gerry Hickman (London UK)

paul

Thanks for the replies,

I am still not 100% sure. Say I installed sp4 to my server
and I had installed many post sp3 hotfixes which were pre
sp4, these would be contained in the service pack so
wouldn't be a concern. Any post sp4 hotfixes are file
checked so are not removed and won't need reinstalling is
that correct.

Joe you mentioned Security Update MS03-026, this one
specifically says not to install prior to sp4, should I
not worry about that warning. If when loading the service
pack it pops up with warnings about more recent files
already installed I assume that you just keep the existing
files.

In KB article 274215 it says that 'hotfixes do not update
the Layout.inf file. Therefore, if you install a hotfix
and system state changes occur, you may need to reapply
the hotfix'. Do service packs not change the system state.
If not when might I need to reapply a service pack say if
I installed a secondary DNS server on a w2k server would I
then need to reapply any post service pack hotfixes.

Many Thanks for the help
Paul

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Paul,

Yes, the installation of Service Pack does perform file version check to
ensure that more up-to-date system files will not be replaced by older
ones. Your understandings are correct.

We can install Security Update MS03-026 before installing SP4. I copied the
following paragraph from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp:

"Important Note: Installing SP4 will not install Security Update MS03-026,
which protects against vulnerabilities associated with the Blaster worm. If
you have not installed this security update, make sure you install it from
this page before or after installing SP4. For more information about the
Blaster worm, see What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its
Variants."

To verify that Windows 2000 SP4 will not overwrite the MS03-026 files, I
have performed the following test:

1. Install MS03-026 on a Windows 2000 SP3 system.
2. Restart the machine. Verify that MS03-026 has been installed
successfully by checking the Registry and the file version/size/date.

3. Install Windows 2000 SP4.
4. Restart the machine. Verify that MS03-026's files are still there.
5. Run Windows Update on this machine, MS03-026 is NOT displayed as
necessary update.

Therefore, we do not need to reinstall MS03-026 after applying SP4.

To answer your last question, yes, we may need to reapply some post service
pack hotfixes after adding DNS on a Windows 2000 Server system.

Actually, we have an easy solution to verify if a system needs to reapply
hotfix. We can use utility called Hfnetchk Hotfix Checker to scan this
system to collect a "Patch Not Found" list (need to adjust the "-history
level" switch).

For more information regarding this tool, please refer to:

303215 Microsoft Network Security Hotfix Checker (Hfnetchk.exe) Tool Is
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303215

We can then easily decide if it is necessary to reapply some hotfixes.

I hope the above information helps. Thanks, and have a nice day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "paul" <[email protected]>
|Sender: "paul" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: installing services packs on top of hotfixes
|Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:37:59 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
|Thanks for the replies,
|
|I am still not 100% sure. Say I installed sp4 to my server
|and I had installed many post sp3 hotfixes which were pre
|sp4, these would be contained in the service pack so
|wouldn't be a concern. Any post sp4 hotfixes are file
|checked so are not removed and won't need reinstalling is
|that correct.
|
|Joe you mentioned Security Update MS03-026, this one
|specifically says not to install prior to sp4, should I
|not worry about that warning. If when loading the service
|pack it pops up with warnings about more recent files
|already installed I assume that you just keep the existing
|files.
|
|In KB article 274215 it says that 'hotfixes do not update
|the Layout.inf file. Therefore, if you install a hotfix
|and system state changes occur, you may need to reapply
|the hotfix'. Do service packs not change the system state.
|If not when might I need to reapply a service pack say if
|I installed a secondary DNS server on a w2k server would I
|then need to reapply any post service pack hotfixes.
|
|Many Thanks for the help
|Paul

|>|
|>|Hi,
|>|
|>|A more interesting question would be
|>|
|>|"what happens if I install a service pack over patches
|that were
|>|released after it (and don't re-apply the patches!)"
|>|
|>|I'm fairly sure you can do what you're saying below;
|apply the SP and
|>|then any patches that supersede it.
|>|

|the
|about
|just
|svcpack.log
|remove

|>|
|>|
|>|--
|>|Gerry Hickman (London UK)
|>|
|>|

|>.

Gerry Hickman

Hi Joe,

I can't find the article now (looks like there's been a ton of updates),
but a few weeks back there were specific instructions on technet to
install SP4 _before_ MS03-026. However, I had one machine on my network
that had SP4 put on after MS03-026 and it seemd fine.

A different question along the same lines though.

Let's say I apply the same patch 100 times. Will it copy files to
System32 100 times, or will it just take one look at a reg key and bomb out?
Yes, the installation of Service Pack does perform file version check to
ensure that more up-to-date system files will not be replaced by older
ones. Your understandings are correct.

<snip>

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Gerry,

Thank you for your post.

To answer your question, no, the file will not be copied to the system32
folder 100 times. If we try installing the MS03-026 patch the second time,
the installation finishes very quickly and the system does not prompt a
message to ask you to restart the system.

Actually, you can download a utility called File Monitor from
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml to get more
information of the installations. Using this tool during the installation
of the MS03-026 patch, we can find that the file system activities during
the second time installation are quite simple from the first one.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:42:43 +0100
|From: Gerry Hickman <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: installing services packs on top of hotfixes
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
|Hi Joe,
|
|I can't find the article now (looks like there's been a ton of updates),
|but a few weeks back there were specific instructions on technet to
|install SP4 _before_ MS03-026. However, I had one machine on my network
|that had SP4 put on after MS03-026 and it seemd fine.
|
|A different question along the same lines though.
|
|Let's say I apply the same patch 100 times. Will it copy files to
|System32 100 times, or will it just take one look at a reg key and bomb
out?

|Joe Wu [MSFT] wrote:
|> Yes, the installation of Service Pack does perform file version check to
|> ensure that more up-to-date system files will not be replaced by older
|> ones. Your understandings are correct.
|
|<snip>

|--
|Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Gerry Hickman

Thanks Joe,

That's very nice! I have tried installing patches again, just to see
what would happen, and I was concerned that it took a few seconds, but
this is probably because the patch installer first has to extract files
and initialize. This would explain why it doesn't "bomb out" as quick as
I expected.

Thanks for clarification.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Gerry,

You are welcome. Thank you for using our news group!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:32:10 +0100
|From: Gerry Hickman <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: installing services packs on top of hotfixes
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
|Thanks Joe,
|
|That's very nice! I have tried installing patches again, just to see
|what would happen, and I was concerned that it took a few seconds, but
|this is probably because the patch installer first has to extract files
|and initialize. This would explain why it doesn't "bomb out" as quick as
|I expected.
|
|Thanks for clarification.
|
|Joe Wu [MSFT] wrote:
|> To answer your question, no, the file will not be copied to the system32
|> folder 100 times.

|--