Installing Legacy ISA devices to XPe

G

I have an ISA NE2000 compliant network card that I need to install on my XPe
target. I don't have the contol panel or the MSI snap-in in my image. I'm
looking for ideas on how do I install/control this device.

K

KM

Chris,

Have you tried "NE2000 Compatible ISAPNP Ethernet Adapter (Generic)" component?

In any case, if you happened to have a driver for that network card (I guess it would be something similar to ne2000.sys) you can
create your own component (either importing INF file or just placing the driver files to appropriate windows directories at run
time) and include it in your Configuration up front.

Then you won't need to bother "how to install" the driver at run time.

Another thing for you to consider (if you don't have DevManager at run time) - using console version: devcon. You can read more
about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311272

G

I did add "NE2000 Compatible ISAPNP Ethernet Adapter (Generic)" component?
and NE2000.sys and netnovell.inf are in the PreFBA image. However, after FBA
runs these files are not on the target machine. I guessing it's because the
card is non-PNP.

K

KM

Chris,

I know many ISA NE2000 compliant network card with Plug-and-Play function. Since you did not mention your card I had to guess.

The first try I'd do is to change the driver start type. Particularly for the "NE2000 Compatible ISAPNP Ethernet Adapter (Generic)"
component, if you go to its Resource section and open "Novell/Eagle NE2000 Adapter Driver" service item properties, you will notice
that the service StartType is set to "3" (by demand). I'd change it to "2" (Auto).
The same experiment, of course, you could do at run time. Just find appropriate "Novell/Eagle NE2000 Adapter Driver" service under
[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services] and change its "Start" dword value, reboot and see if it helps.

If it is non PnP card, you can also install it on XP Pro machine, grab the appropriate registry entries and include them in to your
image.
The easiest way (if you don't know what keys you should be grabbing) would be using tools like Inctrl5 or (better) RegSnap to
monitor the installation and get the necessary entries.

Ask a Question