Windows XP Installing DOS games

Reaction score
I recently purchase Alone in the Dark 1.2.3 not knowing they were DOS games. Need help in installing them to Windows 98 ME in a HP.:confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
win ME doesn't have a true DOS capability, but you could try loading from the Command Prompt (Start >> Accessories >> Command prompt) (I think, I've never used ME).

From there, you'll have to access the disc, assuming your CD ROM is the D drive, type D: enter

From there, type dir, return, look for something like AITD, then press return again

I'm a little hazy here, been a long time since I done that thing, but I think you type, from the D prompt, AITD return then type it again, and you should go into the load option

sorry, that's far from comprehensive, like I said, I've forgotten, but it may put you on the right track

hopefully somebody else will be along to give you more detailed info

For what it's worth, I have a copy of Alone in the dark 3 on CD and although I managed to install it (on Win 98SE) I just couldn't get it to run, had a memory problem, as I recall, and despite extensive messing about with memory settings, couldn't get it to work

Good luck

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestions & see if they work!I didn't have any trouble with Alone 4 nightmare. I haven't finished it but looked high & low for the 1,2,3, not realizing they were DOS. I bought 2ne hand 7th Guest & 11th Hour but they had a patch I could download & I was able to play 7th Guest. Have not played or isntalled 11 Guest yet. I'm so computer dumb that I really need a how to that tells me do this 1 do this 2, etc.!!

Reaction score
ME is fully DOS compatible just like 95/98 except that the boot in MSDOS option has been removed. It's XP that doesn't have full DOS compatibility (it is based on NT).

Nick

Reaction score
hi...new to this thingy so you'll have to excuse me, but i found one of my favourite childhood games down a booty the other week and i cant for the life of me install it to my pc!!!
i have got xp pro, and i am trying to run a simple game such as 7th guest/11th hour, but it just does not wanna know.....can somebody please help???
THANK YOU

Reaction score
matt.....it is the 7th guest/11th hour combo!!! on cd. i remember having to load it through dos when i was a kid, but i cant seem to get anywhere with it now! EVEN THROUGH DOS, hope you can help, cheers mate

Reaction score
need help with 7th guest on Win XP PLEASE

Hey, I hope you can help me install the 7th guest on WIn XP. I got MSDOS working on XP but when i get to the 7th guest installation and after it says "Press any key to continue", it says in a blue box "please select hard drive
letter you wish to copy files to" and underneath it, it says Available drive letters are:" but htere are no letters. and in the top left corner it says "Not ready reading drive E, Abort, Retry, Fail? and it keeps repeating that message. If you know how to get past that part PLEASE PLEASE help me. thanks

Reaction score
I also purchased the 7th guest, and got it installed, but when i go to run it, it says that an illegal action has been performed, and to either ignore or cancel. If I ignore, I can't run it, and if I cancel I still can't run it. HELP!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
An illegal action... oh my watch out for the Police...

No seriously I ran 7th Guest when it first came out for Dos under windows 95 and I had nothing but problems with it If I remember rightly I had to patch it twice and allocate memory for it to run, but it never ran properly and was full of bugs...In the end I bought it for my Philips CDi player (remember those) and played it with no problems...

Reaction score
Sylvia said:
I recently purchase Alone in the Dark 1.2.3 not knowing they were DOS games. Need help in installing them to Windows 98 ME in a HP.:confused:

Try a program called Dosbox

Works great, look on google.com for it

Ask a Question