Installer Keeps Running

Suddenly Windows Installer runs and runs. It happens when I start a
third party app. I uninstalled the app. Then the installer decided
to run whenever I started another third party app.

This Installer needs to stop running and just stay put. What should I
do? I'm using Windows 5.1 (Build 2600) -- I guess that is XP Home
SP2, although the computer literature says it's Media Center.

Whatever.

How do I get the Windows Installer to stop running?

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((><

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Which program is the Installer trying to load/install?

See Windows Installer FAQ:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

Under "Troubleshooting" section, see:

" Q.Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?
"

-and-

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290301

In addition, here are some useful links for troubleshooting.

Windows Installer Team Blog : Windows Installer Appears Every Time a Program
is Started:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2006/02/05/525213.aspx

Windows Installer Team Blog : "Stop Installation Idiocy" PCWorld's Hassle
Free PC article:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2005/11/01/486587.aspx

Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

<<*(((> wrote in message Suddenly Windows Installer runs and runs. It happens when I start a
third party app. I uninstalled the app. Then the installer decided
to run whenever I started another third party app.

This Installer needs to stop running and just stay put. What should I
do? I'm using Windows 5.1 (Build 2600) -- I guess that is XP Home
SP2, although the computer literature says it's Media Center.

Whatever.

How do I get the Windows Installer to stop running?

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((><

When this first started, Windows Installer kept trying to load
BiblePro. It tried about 7 times. I had to hit escape each time. So
I uninstalled BiblePro. Then Windows Installer started trying to load
Excel. Again, it tries numerous times.

This happens only when I startup the program for Shavlik's NetChk.

<*(((><

Suddenly Windows Installer runs and runs. It happens when I start a
third party app. I uninstalled the app. Then the installer decided
to run whenever I started another third party app.

This Installer needs to stop running and just stay put. What should I
do? I'm using Windows 5.1 (Build 2600) -- I guess that is XP Home
SP2, although the computer literature says it's Media Center.

Whatever.

How do I get the Windows Installer to stop running?

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((><

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((><

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Use the Windows installer cleanup utility and remove traces of the
"BiblePro" program, which you've already uninstalled.

<<*(((> wrote in message When this first started, Windows Installer kept trying to load
[...]

Well, I did it a bit differently. Since it was the Windows Installer
calling up Excel, I had it remove Excel. Then I reinstalled Excel and
the rollups through SP3. This time, they are installed well. The
installer marathon started after I tried, and failed, to install Excel
2000 SP2 & SP3.

And after I removed Bible Pro, the Installer for Excel started running
and running on my Shavlik.com Microsoft Patch scanning and
downloading program. So I guessed it wasn't Bible Pro that caused the
trouble.

Heck, I don't even read the Bible anyhow!

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((>< ~~~

[...]

Used the Windows Installer Cleanup tool prior to reinstalling Excel?

Also, see if there are any "msiinstaller" events recorded in the event log.
http://www.winxptutor.com/eventlog.htm

[...]

Hi Ramesh,

It's kind of academic now, since Excel is working nicely and
the installer isn't running anymore. But yeah, I've got a whole bunch
of MsiInstaller events in the event log.
Do you want me to post any of them?

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
<*(((>< ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Do you want me to post any of them?

Yes, that info should be helpful

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Hi Ramesh,

It's kind of academic now, since Excel is working nicely and
the installer isn't running anymore. But yeah, I've got a whole bunch
of MsiInstaller events in the event log.
Do you want me to post any of them?

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
<*(((>< ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~

Ramesh,
I assume you want to see the logfile out of curiosity or to
work on some kind of bug tracking. I've got Excel reinstalled and
successfully updated, and the installer isn't running anymore.

I pasted the event viewer logifile and tried to sent, but it was 367
kg and the MS newsgroup rejected it. I use Forte Agent 1.91 and I
don't know how to add it as a zip attachment.

What do you want me to do?

[...]

Hi <*(((><

If the installer issue is resolved, then let's close the case.

How did you weigh the file? :)

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Ramesh,
I assume you want to see the logfile out of curiosity or to
work on some kind of bug tracking. I've got Excel reinstalled and
successfully updated, and the installer isn't running anymore.

I pasted the event viewer logifile and tried to sent, but it was 367
kg and the MS newsgroup rejected it. I use Forte Agent 1.91 and I
don't know how to add it as a zip attachment.

What do you want me to do?

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,
<*(((>< ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~

Alec S.

Sure, weight the paper, then print it, then weight it again and subtract. ;)

I thought you were only supposed to weigh the ink? :)

Ramesh, MS-MVP

And, a virtual weighing machine available here.
http://www.typorganism.com/
Came across this link via BBC World's "Click" programme.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Sure, weight the paper, then print it, then weight it again and subtract.
;)

I thought you were only supposed to weigh the ink? :)

This issue sounds very similar to mine. I'll try to use the
installer-blaster. My error message is: "This patch package could not be
opened. Verify that the package exists"... Now it happens only with MS
programs (any), but I first noticed it in launching Adobe Acrobat 7.0.8.