-----Original Message-----
From: J C Carol [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: 10. august 2004 06:08
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Incorrect Update
Subject: Incorrect Update

I've just published a revised version of my website.
However, the "Index.htm" file did not publish correctly.
On my local drive, the "Index.htm" file has a house icon in front of it.
The remote site sees it as regular document. When the site is accessed
one gets "Index of. . ." with the list of files. Nothing I do restores
the house icon on the server side so one can view t he starting page.
What is the cause? How can I correct this?

JC Carol

The default page should be "Index.htm", which is what I
have. Just in case the file name was changed while I was
uploading, I tried all vatiations of Index/index and
Default/default. "Index.htm" was working prior to my
update.

JC

Ronx

Are you sure the required name is not index.htm - note the lower case
throughout. I note that you have said you have tried index.htm, but FP
sometimes does not "register" case changes in file names, unless you change
the name twice, for example from Index.htm to index.html to index.htm.

--
Ron

The default page should be "Index.htm", which is what I
have. Just in case the file name was changed while I was
uploading, I tried all vatiations of Index/index and
Default/default. "Index.htm" was working prior to my
update.

JC
Ask your Provider what the name of the default page should be.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Incorrect Update

I've just published a revised version of my website.
However, the "Index.htm" file did not publish correctly.
On my local drive, the "Index.htm" file has a house icon in front of it.
The remote site sees it as regular document. When the site is accessed
one gets "Index of. . ." with the list of files. Nothing I do restores
the house icon on the server side so one can view t he starting page.
What is the cause? How can I correct this?

JC Carol

.

J C Carol

I've tried all that. Even changed, then closed the
connetionn, and started over. How can I check to see if
the file is corrupt?

JC
[...]

chris leeds

do you have a url for this failing page/ site?

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/
--

J C Carol said:
[...]

http://www.bceq.com

I've already tried variations of "Index.com"
Thanks for your help.

[...]

Thomas A. Rowe

You need to contact your host and ask them what is the correct filename for your default document
(home page).

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

J C Carol said:
[...]

I've already contacted my host. "Index.htm" is the
correct file name. However, the Home icon does not appear
on the host, no matter what I call the home file.

Index.htm
Index.html
index.htm
index.html

"Index.htm"was working fine until I published my last
update

JC
You need to contact your host and ask them what is the
correct filename for your default document
(home page).

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

http://www.bceq.com

I've already tried variations of "Index.com"
Thanks for your help.

do you have a url for this failing page/ site?

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

The email address on this posting is a "black hole".
got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/
wrote
in message
I've tried all that. Even changed, then closed the
connetionn, and started over. How can I check to see if
the file is corrupt?

JC
Are you sure the required name is not index.htm - note
the lower case
throughout. I note that you have said you have tried
index.htm, but FP
sometimes does not "register" case changes in file
names, unless you change
the name twice, for example from Index.htm to
index.html to index.htm.

--
Ron

The default page should be "Index.htm", which is what I
have. Just in case the file name was changed
while
was
uploading, I tried all vatiations of Index/index and
Default/default. "Index.htm" was working prior
my
update.

JC

[...]

I've even recreated the Home Page and still the Home Icon
does not appear on the host site.

JC
[...]

JC,

Here is a thought, rename your home page to default.htm in your local copy of your web, then when
you publish via FP's http mode, the extensions on the server should automatically rename default.htm
to the first default document listed in the server's default document list during publishing. If
your list that you posted is in the correct order, then FP would rename default.htm to Index.htm and
everything should then work as expected.

J C Carol said:
[...]

That did not work. I used the FTP capability within FP.
[...]

To assist you in getting the best answers for
FrontPage
support see:

[...]

Could the file be corrupted? I know there is no virus.
Could FP itself be causing the problem? The last change I
made was to place a hidden counter on the Home Page. I've
since removed it. If that was causing the problem, why
then does the Home Icon not reappear on the host site?
[...]

Question: Does the remote server have the FP extensions installed?

J C Carol said:
[...]

"J C Carol" <[email protected]>
wrote
in message
I've tried all that. Even changed, then closed the
connetionn, and started over. How can I check to
see if
the file is corrupt?

JC
Are you sure the required name is not index.htm -
note
the lower case
throughout. I note that you have said you have
tried
index.htm, but FP
sometimes does not "register" case changes in file
names, unless you change
the name twice, for example from Index.htm to
index.html to index.htm.

--
Ron
--
Reply only to group - emails will be deleted
unread.

message
[...]

Randy Russell

J C Carol said:
That did not work. I used the FTP capability within FP.

I see hints of the WS_FTP program on your site. Make sure you are working on
a WEB locally with Frontpage and PUBLISHing to your server. FTP and
Frontpage don't mix. You can't use Ipswitch FTP without corrupting the FP
Server extensions.

Thomas A. Rowe

If you are uploading via FTP, then FP will not rename the your local home page to the name required
on the server, as it needs the FP extensions on the remote server to do that, also not FP run-time
components will work on a server that doesn't have the FP extensions or that are uploaded via FTP,
whether using FP's FTP mode or a 3rd Party FTP application.

J C Carol said:
[...]

is it possible your ftp-ing these files into the wrong directory?
open the live site with ftp and try to browse it with your ftp program to
find the default page.

I'd recommend that you simply go to a windows server with FrontPage
extensions and make your life a whole lot easier.

HTH