Incompatibility between this tool and the current operating system

I'm trying to run sysprep 2 on my Windows XP Pro SP2 computer using the
-reseal -mini switches as outline in the "Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when
Re-installing Windows XP"

Everything is set-up IAW with the above KB article. Yet I get this error
message:
"There is an incompatibility between this tool and the current operating
system. Unable to continue."

Anyone come across this before? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
TIA

Guy McDowell

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Guy,
two possible causes that I have seen for this.
1) Make sure the server service is running.
2) Make sure you have the correct updated version of Sysprep, at least SP2
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?R3V5IE1jRG93ZWxs?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: Incompatibility between this tool and the current operating system
<Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:45:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Hi,
<
<I'm trying to run sysprep 2 on my Windows XP Pro SP2 computer using the
<-reseal -mini switches as outline in the "Preserving OEM Pre-Activation
when
<Re-installing Windows XP"
<
<Everything is set-up IAW with the above KB article. Yet I get this error
<message:
<"There is an incompatibility between this tool and the current operating
<system. Unable to continue."
<
<Anyone come across this before? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
<TIA
<
<Guy McDowell
<

There's several useful ideas at this link in addition to making sure the
service is enabled. Enabling "Server" as a manual service for example.
http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/10/sysprep-fails-on-windows-xp-sp2.htm#comment-55794

I've tried to patch sysprep using the 2003 SP2 sysprep update but it won't
run correctly because it expects you to have the files in one location. Too
bad the KB doesn't say where and the update of course doesn't even tell you
it failed... It just says it worked but it didn't. :(

Anyone else have any ideas on this error message in sysprep?
A sort of guide would be nice to add to the KB later based on our findings.

Keeping at it, Joe.