in place reinstall.

Ive just tried to do an inplace reinstall, but my XP CD says that it cant do
it as the copy of XP im running now is better than the one on the CD
(probably - but not certainly - because the CD has the original version of XP
and im running XP SP2).

Is there a way past this? Other than a complete new, clean reinstall? Which
i dont fancy doing as its a lot of faffing about.

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

You'll need to slipstream the SP2 patch with your original WinXP CD before
attempting a inplace reinstall.

Autostreamer Instructions/download:
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

--

===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"Doctor Who What Where Why How" <Doctor Who What Where Why
| Ive just tried to do an inplace reinstall, but my XP CD says that it cant do
| it as the copy of XP im running now is better than the one on the CD
| (probably - but not certainly - because the CD has the original version of XP
| and im running XP SP2).
|
| Is there a way past this? Other than a complete new, clean reinstall? Which
| i dont fancy doing as its a lot of faffing about.

jmatt

Doctor said:
Ive just tried to do an inplace reinstall, but my XP CD says that it cant do
it as the copy of XP im running now is better than the one on the CD
(probably - but not certainly - because the CD has the original version of XP
and im running XP SP2).

Is there a way past this? Other than a complete new, clean reinstall? Which
i dont fancy doing as its a lot of faffing about.

You can update your XP cd so it includes SP2 & all the hotfixes or do a
repair install using your current cd & have to reinstall XP2 etc again.

Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=284&p=2
A service pack is a product-specific collection of updates that fix
security, program compatibility and system reliability issues. It also
provides enhancements, administration tools, drivers and additional
components that have been developed since the product's release. In
short, a service pack helps to keep your product current and extends
its functionality.
This guide will describe the easiest way possible to slipstream (also
known as 'Integrate') a Service Pack into Windows 2000, XP or 2003. The
days of typing out command switches, and fiddling with boot sectors and
ISO settings in Nero are long gone, so none of that will be described
here! :)
To do this, we will only need one program - MSFN's very own popular
nLite created by one of our members nuhi. While nLite is primarily
aimed to remove components to slim down a Windows CD, it has the
required tools to do just an automated Service Pack slipstream as well
as create a CD image.
http://www.nliteos.com/
Prerequisites:
A Windows 2000, XP, or 2003 CD
The latest "Network Install" Service Pack for one of the above
Operating Systems
Suitable CD Burning software capable of burning .ISO files (Nero,
Alcohol, Easy CD Creator, etc.)
nLite
Before we start, make sure you are doing this on an NT Operating System
(those are Windows 2000, XP or 2003) otherwise the slipstream will not
work. nLite also requires the .NET Framework to function.

Boot off of a clean Windows XP cd ( your bios has to be set to boot
from cd rom 1st ) choose Install ( Not > To Repair a Windows XP
installation using Recovery Console, press R ) at the first prompt.
It will then search for a previous copy of Windows.
When it finds your copy, it will stop at the next prompt and ask if you
want to do a repair. Hit R at this screen.
If it does'nt mention a repair > DO NOT continue.
It will then copy a lot of files and appear to be doing a reinstall (
But its not. All your programs and data are safe, all you will lose,
are your Windows updates )