Images

K

knpearce

How do I make Microsoft Photo Editor the default image
viewer for Windows? I recently installed Quick time to
view a movie and its taken over the photo viewing too.

Many thanks

A

Austin M. Horst

This is one method:

Right-click an image file

Select Open With

Click Choose program... (if necessary)

Select Microsoft Photo Editor

Check the box labeled
"Always use this program to open..." [Windows 2000]
"Always use the selected program..." [Windows XP]

Click [OK]

Austin M. Horst

G

George Hester

Remove the option to have QuickTime open files of that file type. You will see this by double-clicking the QuickTime applet in the Control Panel and choosing in the drop down up top | File Type Associations | File Types... | and have ONLY file type associations set for QuickTime Player that have QuickTime in their name (propritary extensions) and Apple.

Now to get back to Photo Editor as your default for file types of that extension I would go to the Office CD-ROM and add\remove in Control Panel. Insert the Microsoft Office CD-ROM. Then double-click Add\Remove and select Microsoft Office. Then Change... You want to find the area where the Photo Editor is installed. Uncheck (set to not installed) it and close out. Reboot after all is said and done. Then do the same thing again only this time select Is installed. Then close out and when all is said and done reboot. You should have your association back because Photo Editor is notorious for taking over file type associations just by installing the application. But that's what you want.

The reason why the other method is insufficient is that there can be other settings that are necessary like DDE Exchange which will not be set using that method. But the other can work.

Ask a Question