    image does not open. The thumbnail image is also not displayed. When I select
    Edit I get error message ""Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid
    bitmap or its format is not currently supported."

    s2w2k2, Jun 4, 2009

  2. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    s2w2k2 wrote:
    > I have taken some photos(.jpg format) from my digital camera Sony DSC
    > W-170. The image opens in Microsoft Photo Editor and Picture and Fax
    > viewer in my home computer. The jpg image does not open in my office
    > computer. I have installed the camera driver and software in my
    > office computer, but still the image does not open. The thumbnail
    > image is also not displayed. When I select Edit I get error message
    > ""Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap or its
    > format is not currently supported."

    I'm guessing the work computer can display other .jpg files?
    If not...you may have an issue with File Associations.

    Does the file still display the correct .jpg extension ?

    Sounds like somewhere between your computer and work
    the .jpg file may have become corrupted.

    How did it get to work? E-mail, CD, Memory card, Flash
    drive? Download from the camera? Sometimes...corruption
    can develop when downloading from a camera if the
    batteries are low. (That's one reason why it's best to use
    a memory card and a card reader)

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 4, 2009

  3. s2w2k2

    s2w2k2 Guest

    I can open other jpg images. The images are transmitted through email. I can
    open the images with Irfanview, but it does not open otherwise(with XP
    default programs). The images are not corrupted.File association is perfectly
    fine. It opens even with Internet Explorer in my home computer. I guess
    something is missing in my office computer.

    Any help is appreciated.

    s2w2k2, Jun 5, 2009
  4. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    s2w2k2 wrote:
    > I can open other jpg images. The images are transmitted through
    > email. I can open the images with Irfanview, but it does not open
    > otherwise(with XP default programs). The images are not
    > corrupted.File association is perfectly fine. It opens even with
    > Internet Explorer in my home computer. I guess something is missing
    > in my office computer.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    OK..if you can open them with IrfanView...just resave them as .jpg again
    with Irfan View...this will create new files that should open in your other
    apps.

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 5, 2009
  5. s2w2k2

    s2w2k2 Guest

    I have tested it with Irfanview on my test machine. I am not allowed to use
    3rd party software in Office. Is the office machine missing something ?

    s2w2k2, Jun 5, 2009
  6. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    s2w2k2 wrote:
    > I have tested it with Irfanview on my test machine. I am not allowed
    > to use 3rd party software in Office. Is the office machine missing
    > something ?

    ===============================
    Based on the fact that you stated the work
    computer could view your other photos...
    I still think the copy of the photo in question
    on the Work computer may be corrupt.

    Try resaving the file with IrfanView and try
    the new file on the work computer.

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 5, 2009
  7. s2w2k2

    s2w2k2 Guest

    Corrupted image will not open in Irfanview either. It opens will all the
    viewers in my home computer. Something is missing in office computer for it
    to not open the image.

    s2w2k2, Jun 6, 2009
  8. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    s2w2k2 wrote:
    > Corrupted image will not open in Irfanview either. It opens will all
    > the viewers in my home computer. Something is missing in office
    > computer for it to not open the image.

    You stated that the office computer would open other .jpg files.

    So...instead of working with a file that appears to be corrupted.

    E-mail another copy of the file from home to yourself at work and try it.

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 6, 2009
  9. s2w2k2

    s2w2k2 Guest

    Question is not of corrupted JPG images. What is missing in my office
    computer that it cannot open JPG images taken from a camera ?If you require
    any further information such as EXIF information of the photo, I am ready to
    provide it.

    s2w2k2, Jun 6, 2009
  10. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    s2w2k2 wrote:
    > Question is not of corrupted JPG images. What is missing in my office
    > computer that it cannot open JPG images taken from a camera ?If you
    > require any further information such as EXIF information of the
    > photo, I am ready to provide it.

    This is getting confusing to say the least and I don't
    think we are communicating well.

    Did you resave the .jpg in IrfanView and try the new
    version on the office computer?

    You previously stated, "I can open other .jpg images."
    Are you saying now that the 'office' computer will not
    open 'any' of your .jpg images? If...yes...you may need
    to reset your image file associations.

    Maybe the following link will be useful:

    Windows XP File Association Fixes

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 6, 2009
  11. s2w2k2

    Gord Dibben Guest

    I can verify John's solution.

    I once had a bunch of jpgs taken with my Kodak Camera.

    For some resson they were not recognized by Windows XP..........never did
    figure out why.

    Loaded into Irfanview and "converted" to jpg.

    No problems after that.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Jun 6, 2009
  12. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    Gord Dibben wrote:
    > I can verify John's solution.
    >
    > I once had a bunch of jpgs taken with my Kodak Camera.
    >
    > For some resson they were not recognized by Windows XP..........never
    > did figure out why.
    >
    > Loaded into Irfanview and "converted" to jpg.
    >
    > No problems after that.

    ============================
    Hey Gord...

    Thanks for the assistance, maybe now
    the OP will try to resave the .jpg file.

    Have you experimented with AutoCollage?
    It's fun to play with:

    Download Trial Version Of AutoCollage
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/6f9325c6-cf4f-4408-8cab-8b1f0cabe0bb/default.aspx

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 6, 2009
  13. s2w2k2

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Gord Dibben, Jun 6, 2009
  14. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    Gord Dibben wrote:
    > Have not experimented with AutoCollage.
    >
    > I'll have a look at it John.
    >
    > Thanks

    =====================
    Let me know what you think.

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 7, 2009
  15. s2w2k2

    s2w2k2 Guest

    Let me reiterate the issue. Some of the jpg images taken from Sony DSC W-170
    camera does not open in Office Computer. It does not open with any of the
    default players of Windows XP. It opes in Home computer even with the
    Internet Explorer.

    The issue is only with the jpg images taken from Sony DSC-W170.

    The image opens in IrfanView in office computer, but we are not allowed to
    install any 3rd party player in Office

    I dont need to install XP File Association Fix as all jpg images other than
    the one taken from Sony Camera opens.

    I cant open the image in IrfanView and resave them as jpg, as there as lots
    of images.

    I think the office computer is missing something, which I am not able to
    figure out.

    s2w2k2, Jun 7, 2009
  16. Hello John:

    May I ask a question here?

    Over the years I have heard stories of "different" versions of .jpg? In
    other words, people have claimed that the Japanese having different .jpg
    file formats than the version used in the USA.

    I don't presently have any samples.

    Can you comment on the possibility of different standards for .jpg files in
    different countries?

    Cordially yours,

    Young Snodgrass

    Young Snodgrass, Jun 18, 2009
  17. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    Young Snodgrass wrote:
    > Hello John:
    >
    > May I ask a question here?
    >
    > Over the years I have heard stories of "different" versions of .jpg? In
    > other words, people have claimed that the Japanese having
    > different .jpg file formats than the version used in the USA.
    >
    > I don't presently have any samples.
    >
    > Can you comment on the possibility of different standards for .jpg
    > files in different countries?
    >
    > Cordially yours,
    >
    > Young Snodgrass

    =================================
    Yes, there are different types of JPEG files.
    Have a look at the following article:

    JPEG Format - About JPEG
    and JPEG 2000 File Formats
    http://tinyurl.com/32hxs4
    or...
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/formatsjpeg/JPEG_Format_About_JPEG_and_JPEG_2000_File_Formats.htm

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 18, 2009
  18. Hello John:

    Thank-you! I had looked, but did not find your "source."

    Also, "Thank-you" for letting me wander "off-subject."

    Cordially yours,

    Young Snodgrass

    Young Snodgrass, Jun 19, 2009
  19. s2w2k2

    John Inzer Guest

    Young Snodgrass wrote:
    > Hello John:
    >
    > Thank-you! I had looked, but did not find your "source."
    >
    > Also, "Thank-you" for letting me wander "off-subject."
    >
    > Cordially yours,
    >
    > Young Snodgrass

    ============================
    You're welcome.

    Thanks for the update.

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 19, 2009
  20. s2w2k2

    tombtomb

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The answer may very well be posted on a few other sites. Search for "jpegim32.flt".

    Apparently, copying this and perhaps 1-2 other files from the same directory from the install disk into the appropriate folder in program files directory solves the problem of MS Photo Editor not being able to open jpg files.

    In addition, I scoured the net to find out why MS Word would always give me an error as well when opening a Word document (yet allowed the document to open after clicking "yes" to the error announcement). By copying the files mentioned above, that happened to also fix the problem I had with Word.

    I hope people do find this post.

    tombtomb, Jan 21, 2012