Im going to crunch now.

Reaction score
Question: What is a boinc, and should I install it?

oh and I hope you dont mind but I joined myself to your team ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok, explain everything and pray Ady see's this, i'll do my best but he's the man in the know

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
WTG PotGuy - thanks for joining mate!! :thumb:

Boinc is the program that manages the 'crunching' of the science, from initial downloading to sending back once completed. It is more efficient than the the other agent at WCG and will crunch more results and give more points for your effort.

Down load the latest version from HERE, just click on the exe and it will install like any other program, select the 'single user' install if only you use the PC.

Once installed you need to 'attach to the project' ie WCG - put in the web address www.worldcommunitygrid.org then in the next box put in your username and password you set up at WCG.

It will then attach to the project and start downloading and crunching - basically thats it - just leave it to run in the background by reducing it to your system tray (click on red cross top right)

If you want to select particular projects at WCG - then log in at the site and go to My Grid>Device Manager>Device Profiles>Boinc Default Profile and selct from there.

Any other help just shout :)

Edit: Looks like you've started whilst I was preparing this....

Reaction score
yeah sorry I just thought I could do it

Should've waited
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
Sorry Ady...:blush:

Ok I downloaded and started BOINC

Sorry I don't understand this :( but how do I set it up to be at its most efficient? Do I have to allocate system resources or is it automatic?

Also when should I recieve points?

Cheers :thumb:

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You don't need to adjust anything in Boinc except perhaps change the interface to 'advanced' so you can see the progress via the various tabs, the only settings you need to make are at your device profile page at WCG>My Grid.

Go to the default profile, like in my earlier post,and the only change you need to make is to change the Connect to Network every x days to 2.0 :thumb:

You will get points once the result has been submitted and validated - that can take up to 2-3 days at times, particularly over weekends.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one PG! :thumb:

Classic BOINC technique, install, check its working, forget about it and go play a game or something! :D

Reaction score
Okey Dokey! Cheers guys. I remember saying all the way back before I went in the hotel I'd do this, and now I have. The circle of life is complete :)

Ask a Question