Crunching on Galaxy S4

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I had installed the app on my phone last night and just for record and reference, giving details so that anyone who is interested in installing knows what to expect.

Total crunching time for work unit CPU time 2:17/ELAPSED time 2:21

Points claimed for the workunit : 8.
(Will report when the points are granted)

The app downloads 4 units and stores them for crunching. The unit barely gets hot when it is crunching. My battery was fully charged as I did not crunch last night after installing it just to see how things go and to supervise it for first time.

The app uses 2 cores by default and will crunch only when cpu is idle. At 50% usage it will stop crunching. I am mentioning this because this info is indicated in default preferences and I simply am stating to let you all know that it works exactly as it is suppose to.

I read a post by Muckshifter where he feels uneasy about using his phone. I do not disagree with him entirely. If you can initially supervise it to see all is OK, I think there would be no issues. Just do not change the defaults yet, until you know what it will do to your unit. Better safe than sorry.

:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have just installed it and am keeping an eye on services running and amount of ram used, be interesting to see how hot it gets using all the cores!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If any of you guys see any abnormality, particularly the unit getting hot, post it here.

I used it for crunching on batteries and the default was set at 90 percent battery min. It started crunching and stopped when battery was down to default level. So far everything is spot on as far as app is concerned

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
After an hour of crunching I have 43% work unit complete and a battery temp that is stable at 35.5c

Its been around 33.7c for the last week without crunching in this hot weather, so a 2 degree rise in battery temp is par for the course for me!
It doesn't feel like there is any more warmth to the unit than normal at this point..
My phone is an HTC by the way

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
After an hour of crunching I have 43% work unit complete and a battery temp that is stable at 35.5c

Its been around 33.7c for the last week without crunching in this hot weather, so a 2 degree rise in battery temp is par for the course for me!
It doesn't feel like there is any more warmth to the unit than normal at this point..
My phone is an HTC by the way

Good info there!:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I just found out that the charging takes a long time when the app is running. The default of 90% min battery level defined in the preferences has been selected for this very reason. I changed the level to 50% and the crunching started but the charging was extremely slow as the battery percentage hardly registered any increase in almost 10 min. Normally it goes up by few percent.

I thought I would put this info here for others if they were curious.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have noticed the same with battery charging. I have also taken to taking my cover off my phone while it is charging / crunching. Temprature was going upto 40 with it on and is down to 31 without it on. Suppose the next week or so will be about experimenting with what is best

Ask a Question