IKASU Film Scan 35 I

Reaction score
Hi all
Have a new film scanner but can't get the software to load.
When I try I get a window saying
"Acquire Source Failed..Restart DSM"
Can anyone help?
Regards Terry

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You probably need to install an ASPI layer.

Download from Here, install, reboot and try again.

Reaction score
Thanks floppybootstomp.
Downloaded and ran file, re-booted, no difference!
Regards Terry

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the setup of this machine so not sure what should be happening. Silly question perhaps, but is the scanner powered up? And does it show as a device or disk in 'My Computer'?

On this page Here is a link to the latest software for your scanner including updates.

If all fails, uninstall the software and reload the latest version. And with most usb devices they are connected after the software has been installed so that's worth noting.

Reaction score
Many thanks floppybootstomp.
I had already downloaded the latest software and drivers but could not get them to work.
They download as a RAR file which my PC did not recognise. I then went on the web and downloaded a free RAR file converter. I then extracted the RAR file and ran it OK but the same fault appeared.
I tried to update the IKASU drivers via 'Device Manager' but to no avail.
Following your reply this morning, I removed the IKASU programme via 'Add / Remove' software then ran the RAR file again.
It worked, hallelujah!
PC forum and particularly you, terrific, many thanks Terry

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good news :thumb:

I'm guessing the ASPI layer had to be in place before you installed the software.

Either that or it was just an installation glitch.

Looks like a nice piece of kit. How much did it cost? Does it work well?

Reaction score
Film Scanner

Hi floppybootstomp
I paid £42.98 from Price Drop TV
It works very well. Imaging is almost instant and saving image depends on the speed of your PC, guess it takes about 30 secs on mine.
I have just scanned a negative of my sister from 48 years ago, looks as good as new.
Tried a friends scanner a few years ago, took 30 mins to scan a slide so this is an excellent piece of kit. Pity the technical back up is crap, but that won't bother you, you know more than they do.

Reaction score
i just bought the film scanner, and encountered the same problem "Acquire Source Failed..Restart DSM"
now, i read your replies, but have yet to get the thing working.
can anyone help, assuming you are talking to a person who knows very little about computers?
thanks
Shani

Reaction score
Hi shani
All I can suggest is that you follow the steps (exactly) I took as per my post 05/01/09 10:28.
Good luck Terry.:user:

Reaction score
thanks Terry. i managed to successfuly install the scanner, but i have another problem now :)
i launch the filmscan.exe file and start scanning, but when scanning color neg it seems to not be scanning a clear image, but rather half scanned properly and the other with some sort of pixelated appearnace.
Also, when i close and relaunch the scanner it does not seem to work at all. if i uninstall and then reinstall then it works again - any thoughts?
sorry for bothering you so much with this, but i really would appreciate the help.
thanks
Shani

Reaction score
Hi shani
I am having USB system trouble at the moment but eventually launched my scanner to review how it worked as I have not used it for some time.
I show below the mails between me & IKASU support.

Me to them - I have installed the scanner, apparently successfully, but when I try
> to start the programme I get the message "Acquire Source
> Failed..Restart DSM" Although the Film Scan logo appears in the Task
> Bar, no window will open and the only way I can get rid of it is via
> the 'Task Manager'. I have run the fix problems from the installation
> CD and re-booted the PC to no avail. Please advise error and fix.

Response - Do you have any other software or scanners running at the same time?

Me to them - no other scanners or specific software running at the same time. A HP Officejet printer / scanner is connected at all times but not scanning whilst trying to load the IKASU programme.

Response - DSM stands for Digital Software Management but im not sure why its coming up with your scanner. Have you tried downloading our new software and drivers from our website www.fascin8.co.uk?

Response - It's a rar file like a Zip file. The files you need are encased within the rar. You will need to download WINRAR form the internet which will allow to access this file and extract them.

1. You must connect the scanner before launching the 'Film Scan exe'.
  2. I launch mine from the desktop icon.
  3. If you are scanning colour negs you must tick it on the filmscan window, there are 3 choices. colour neg, slide, B&W. Have you tried scanning the same neg in all 3 options? Do you get the same problem in B&W?
  4. Is it the same on different negs?
  5. Have you downloaded the latest software from www.fascin8.co.uk
  6. Is there any obstruction or dirt on the lens or neg?
I had to take mine to bits to clean it. To do this you have to remove the 4 rubber feet & you will find the case screws underneath, but make sure of the above before going to these lengths.
I would look at 1-5 above & if you still have a problem contact IKASU support
good luck terry

Ask a Question