Iiyama Monitor - MM904UT

Reaction score
Hi, i just built a computer system for a friend of mine, and was dissapointed to find that the 19" Iiyama Vision Pro monitor that i had selected for him had what i thought was a fault.

Roughly 1/3rd from the top of the screen there is a 1 pixel horizontal line that goes right accross the screen. There is also a second 1 pixel line roughly 1/3rd off the bottom of the monitor. I'm not sure if these lines are due to missing pixels, highlighted pixels, or something else.

When i rang Iiyama about this issue, i was immediately told (as if this was a question that had been asked many times before) that there was nothing wrong with the monitor, and that there was "Supposed" to be 2 horizontal lines accross it at all times. Apparently, it was something to do with the monitors Tube. On hearing this, i was speachless.... I was not expecting them to say this, and hence had nothing to say in return...except....."err...ok"

I've look at the specifications from the site i bought it from, and i see no mention of this "Feature". I have also checked the specifiaction of this monitor at several other sites, and have found no mention of it.

If its not a feature, then its a fault....right? Has anyone else got one of these monitors, or had any experience with them? Was the woman at Iiyama pullin my chain or what?

Any help would be apprieciated

Thanks
Pile

Reaction score
Pile,

i quote...

" These are tension wires that serve to hold the aperture grille in place. All monitors with an aperture grille configuration have tension wires running one and two thirds of the way down the sceen, whoever the manufaturer is. They do not interfere with any applications and can only be seen very faintly against a light background."

Source: http://www.iiyama.co.uk - FAQ's

In other words, live with it there meant to be there.

J

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup - these lines are supposed to be there - there is no avoiding it. I was surprised to see them in my old Sony monitor, and read in the manual that they were supposed to be there.

After looking it up on the net a few years ago, I found the same thing as Techy has just pointed out. After a week days, I totally forgot about the lines as the overall image quality was far Superior!

Reaction score
Yup...fraid they are normal in many such monitors...after a while you forget they are there (or you go insane and your eyes can never avoid them!):crazy:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You'll get used to it

... its the sign of a good monitor. :D

Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback guys, i'm gonna have to bookmark this site.

I guess i'll just have to try and convince my friend that its a good thing....not sure how i would be able to do that, as i'm not sure why anyone would want to make a monitor that had additional artifacts on the screen, let alone why anyone would knowingly buy one.

Originally posted by muckshifter
... its the sign of a good monitor. :D

Really?? Why is that? Maybe this can help me when i try to explain why i bought this monitor for him. TYIA

Pile

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
These lines only come with Trinitron style monitors, which provide a really sharp image - the best CRT Monitors around :)

Welcome to PC Review ;)

Ask a Question