ie7 and subsequent dramas

Lethal

Hi,

I recently had a problem with a corrupt upgrade from ie6 to ie7...this was
sorted by the good folk in the relevant forum. It involved a uninstall, clean
up & download of ie7...never again will I use the help and support area for a
majot upgrade like this...
Some of the issues I faced however continue. This mainly surrounds windows
explorer freezing and becoming non responsive. If anything recently the
frequency has increased, and results in a forced reboot.
When this occurs, the system tray and task bar become unusable, and the
pointer goes to a egg timer when placed over either.
Often the system tray and start up prgrams (2) do not load.

Sometimes task manager cannot even be started. I have also found that
multiple windows of ie cannot be opened (now) with out this occuring...say
more than 4.
Previously if needed I could open 20-30....
Obviously becoming quite frustrating.

I am running xp home, nvidia 8600gt graphics, 500 gb hdd, intel core2 duo
2.33ghz and 2gb RAM.

Even whilst typing this the task bar is partially whited out...and cannot be
used (the egg timer thing appears).

Does anyone know if there is some tool I can use to at least analyse what is
happening, or some idea as to how to test to identify?

I would really appreciate some guidance, and thank readers/contributors in
advance.

regards

Victek

[...]

Have you considered using a different browser? I've had problems with IE7
on a number of machines that simply could not be worked out. In most cases
the customers reverted back to IE6 and sometimes they switch to Firefox or a
browser that uses the IE rendering engine, such as Maxthon which will work
on the Windows Update site. Why beat your head against IE7?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Victek wrote:
Have you considered using a different browser? I've had problems with IE7
on a number of machines that simply could not be worked out. In most
cases
the customers reverted back to IE6 and sometimes they switch to Firefox or
browser that uses the IE rendering engine, such as Maxthon which will work
on the Windows Update site. Why beat your head against IE7?

Why do you rant about browsers when Lethal states that his problems are with
Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer?

Victek

--
I went back and read the OP carefully and sure enough the problem is not
IE - my apologies. You are correct to point it out, but I wasn't "ranting",

PA Bear [MS MVP]

....if you think it's safe to download from such a spurious source. pcbutts1
is NOT an MS MVP!

Humpty Dumpty

I am an avid reader of this newsgroup. My proficiency es medium-low..
In order to separate true from false, I follow only advices given by MS
MVP's.
I've been reading about the problems caused by this disguised (or maybe
not?) pcbutts1, and I am lost. It looks like an alien invasion.
If he/she is really a troublemaker, couldn't it be possible to eject him/her
from microsoft newsgroups? He/she could cause problems to readers who follow
his/her advices harming Microsoft's image?
Please, help us.
Humpty

Unknown

You have to help yourself. Just ignore his posts.
Humpty Dumpty said:
I am an avid reader of this newsgroup. My proficiency es medium-low..
In order to separate true from false, I follow only advices given by MS
MVP's.
I've been reading about the problems caused by this disguised (or maybe
not?) pcbutts1, and I am lost. It looks like an alien invasion.
If he/she is really a troublemaker, couldn't it be possible to eject
him/her from microsoft newsgroups? He/she could cause problems to readers
who follow his/her advices harming Microsoft's image?
Please, help us.
Humpty

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

I don't give out bad advice. Do you or have you ever seen a post by anyone
saying that what I post does not work? What is harming MS image is the
constant posts by MVP's disrupting these newsgroup trying to attack my
character, they have a grudge against me not MS.

Lethal

Hi Folks

(Never quite to sure if I should reply here (last post) or at the point of
the messages...anyhoo.

Victek....apologies if I misled. The dramas started at the time of the
original corrupt IE7 install and have continued...so you werent soo far off
the mark perhaps). I did revert to firefox and it appears to be suffering
from MUCH the same probs.

'Unknown' - You are indeed correct, we should help ourselves and ignore (if
we believe advice to be suspect). of course not everyone knows or has access
to anyones history....like actions by MS Usernet

I am not interested in what pcbutts1 has or hasn't linked to his site, or
their integrity (to any large degree)...as shallow as this may sound...I am
interested in the virus free/spyware free, efficient fix.

PABear...again thanks for your input...a lot of reading there, I will give
it a go, but will take sometime (as am m oving house this week). 'It never
rains it pours' eh?.

thanks folks, further contributors/advice most welcome.

regards

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

Lethal

Hi Pcbutts one.

No problem, i will give it a go...and report back with results (for all your
friends here to see)...thank you.

regards

Lethal

Hi All,

It looks like I will proceed to the advice provided by PA Bear, and the
shellfix file results recommended by pcbutts1 were not successful.

Thank you for your interest to date, and I will report back following the
attenpts (including HiJackthis and the associated forums).

regards