IE will not access HTTPS sites Suddenly

I recently ran a trial of Adobe Acrobat 7.0. When the trial was over my
already installed version no longer worked, so I had to uninstall 7.0 and
install Reader just to access .pdf files. How annoying. And Adobe has not
responded to my problem with their successful uninstall of the trial or the
inability to use my older product after trial.

That is not the problem.

The problem is that since then I cannot access HTTPS sites. I cannot even
log in on the computer to Microsoft updates and get error 0x80072EFD which is
a firewall error. So I uninstalled Norton Firewall and now Microsoft
Firewall is running.

I can log in to non-secure sites, but Yahoo now won't let me visit MyYahoo
since they are also now SSL.

Please help. Is there anyway to find out what is causing this?

If it is a missing .dll or other file, how do I resolve it?

I have tried restoring to an earlier date and though this was working then,
I cannot access HTTPS even then. I know it was working in January as I paid
bills online mid month. Now I cannot pay bills on line or even visit my paid
subscription sites.

HELP! I am writing from my old computer which is running MS98, new computer
with XP won't even let me log in to this service.

Jan Il

Hi Lynn :)

You don't mention the version of Windows you are using, but, if Win ME ot P,
then you might try doing a System restore to a date prior to when you
installed the trail program and see if that helps.

Otherwise, try the following and see if it will help:

How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with IE6 SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

Windows XP stops responding when you download updates from Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831429

Check the hosts file. Probably entries there that prohibit going to those
sites.

also.

Tools>Internet Options>Privacy
Click Sites.
Enter the following site and click Always Allow:
yahoo.com

The MSN/Hotmail and .NET Passport should be treated the same as Secure
sites. Try the following and see if it helps:

Clearing the TIF Cache -
Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

also..

Check your HOSTS file and see if the sites are there.

Also, try adding those sites to your IE Trusted Zone.

Trouble logging into Hotmail
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_10.htm#hotmail

and...

Tools>Internet Options>Security>Advanced>Custom Level> change each of the
ActiveX Controls setting respectively down the list to the following:

Change the following in order:
Prompt
Disable
Disable
Prompt
Prompt

also......:

Log on as Administrator if running Windows XP
Go To Start>Run>type in ReGsvr32.exe softPUB.DLL "
Change the IE Settings: Tools>Internet Options>Security>Setting>set to
Medium or Low...
Uninstall MSN Messenger from the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
Run a repair of IE, then reintall the full MSN program (not Beta)
Check your connection settings and make sure your Proxy settings are correct
if you use them, and if you use LAN, be sure "Proxy server" box is
UNchecked.

How to troubleshoot cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured
(128-Bit) sites with XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444

Internet Explorer Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/troub-10.html

Cannot Connect to Secure Sites
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/secure.htm

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows IE/OE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I did two restores, one to the beginning of January when it was working.
That didn't work, so I went back to current date. HP had me go back to the
earliest date available and that was 12/13. That did not work, but it also
reloaded the Adobe configuration files and I don't know how to resolve that.

I am running XP HOme edition with Service Pack 2.

I am on an old computer to get this e-mail. I cannot access it on the
computer that is affected. How annoying. I already did most of what you
suggested, but just in case there is something in there I haven't tried, I
will do that now and let you know.

Thank you for your prompt answer. I have spent all my free time over the
last few weeks just trying to figure out why I cannot log in to any of my
paid subscriptions, or MS Update. BUT MS is auto updating me during this
time somehow. Very very confusing.

--
Amature Web Designer
www.frescaaire.com

Jan Il said:
[...]

I am doing some further research on this, but, for the moment, disable the
auto updates, you can turn it back on after you have resolved the problem.
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Automatic Updates
Put a check in the box next to "Turn off automatic updating"

To Disable XP SP2 auto update
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maint

also...

Did you install the older version of the Reader using the Run from the
website, or did you save it to your hard drive and install it from there?
If you by chance saved it to your hard drive before installing (always the
best way to install when possible), and you still have the install file on
your hard drive, or have access to it on the website, then try uninstalling
the older version of the Reader as well. Then try reinstalling the older
version, saying YES if asked to overwrite any existing Adobe files, and see
if that will help

Also....you may want to keep the information below handy and install it
after you have managed to fully clean the Adobe stuff. It is a PDF reader
that does most of what Adobe Reader can do, and without all the intrusive,
bloatware tendrils. I got tired of all the junk from Adobe Reader and use
it as my default PDF reader.

Foxit PDF Reader 1.2 build 0201
http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Reader/3000-2079_4-10365812.html

Jan Il said:
[...]

Thank you so much. It is driving me crazy. I have to order something using
PayPal and of course can't.

I will try all you have said. I have already done the other things.

Also, I got the Adobe Acrobat Trial back on the computer. Also changed from
IE to Mozilla FireFox. Now I can see the progress bar go four dots before it
says timed out. I still don't get through but I don't see the page cannot be
displayed with FireFox.

I have just about given up. I am not on the network though my son keeps
saying I am. I remember when he set me up my cable is off their wireless
somehow though I have a cable in, but I do not have to log in to their
network on that computer as I do on this one. Confusing, but I think that
computer goes direct to the internet via cable which has a firewall I assume.
--
Amature Web Designer
www.frescaaire.com

Jan Il said:
[...]

Ok...you installed a trial of Acrobat 7, and still had an earlier version of
Acrobat
installed. When the trial version of Acrobat 7 expired you uninstalled it
and now the earlier
version of Acrobat no longer works. Thus, you installed Acrobat *Reader* in
order to read PDF files. And...you now can't access secure web sites Is
this correct?

I think the best option now is to uninstall the old version as well, then
reinstall the old version and see if that resolves the problem.

As for the problem accessing secure sites, see if anything here will help
with the secure sites problem. I am not sure how that may relate to the
Adobe problem, but, could be a side affect of some damaged files.
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers2.htm#secure_sites

Jan Il said:
[...]

Thanks for the update. Post back and let us know how you do. :)

Now that you have reinstalled the trail vesion, you will need to uninstall
that too, before the old one. Then reinstall the old version first, and see
if that will get you back to square one without the trail version.

In doing some research, I found that thee were quite a few others who were
having problems with the 7 trail version, although, none I could find with
your type of problem. Thus, it may be some sort of glitch in the program
install/uninstall programming.

:

[...]

Here is a suggestion from another MVP who has dealt wtih Acrobat
configuraiton problems. After uninstalling both versions, use this Windows
Installer Cleanup Utility and remove the
installation configuration settings for Adobe Acrobat
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

This should give you a clean slate for re-installing the older version
without any residuals of the trial version.

wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for that. I disabled auto updates. However, the second link for
the XP updates doesn't work for me on the computer.

I was able to open the post though in the other computer and did not have to
come here to old computer except to answer.

Yes, the ADOBE was installed from the net. I did not save it to disk. I
don't think on either installation, Reader or Acrobat. What is the best way
to uninstall these now?

--
Amature Web Designer
www.frescaaire.com

Jan Il said:
[...]

The best and proper way to uninstall them is through the Add/Remove
Programs. You may need to be logged on in the Admin account, close all
windows so that you are at the desktop.

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>select Add/Remove Programs from the list.
Allow the list to come up, which may take a few seconds if you have a lot of
programs installed. Then scroll down the list to the trail Adobe Acrobat
program, whatever they name is in the list, then click on the Change/Remove
button on the right.

When it asks if you are sure to want to uninstall it, choose YES. Let the
program install.

Then go next to the older version of the program and do the same there.

When both programs are uninstalled, close the Control Panel, log off, and
reboot.
Log back on in Admin account, then run the Windows Installer cleaner utility
I also posted. This will clean all the residual files from both of the
Acrobat programs and give you a fresh start. Then install the older version
of the program. If you need to install it from the website that's ok, but,
if you can, save the install to your hard drive first and install from
there. That way, you have a backup copy of it on your hard drive in case
you need to go back to it again for some reason. Good rule of thumb.
Especially, when dealing with trial or beta installs. <g>

wrote in message
[...]

Nothing has worked so far.

The adobe shows up in about 100 places when I do a search.

I will see how many places it appears once I do the uninstall. I had to
stop, it was driving me crazy.

Today when I get home, I'll try uninstalling Adobe. It has already put its
icons on my Outlook menu bar. I hate that.

--
Amature Web Designer
www.frescaaire.com

Jan Il said:
[...]

I really think that the only way you are going to be able to get back to
normal is by following the steps that I outlined for totally removing the
Adobe programs from your system, or a full repair/reinstall. I would like
for you to try the steps first, as the repair/reinstall should only be a
last resort.

If you need help along the way just yell back here. :)

wrote in message
[...]

Well nothing has worked so far. I was able to log in to Yahoo using
something new that they have just added which is log in using non-secure. So
I am able to get into view and interact on Forums. Still can't do that on
MSN forums yet.

I have been too busy to uninstall Adobe, but will do that probably tomorrow
when I have a block of time available.

I'll let you know how that goes. Almost lost old computer yesterday, got a
divide overflow error two times on trying to boot and almost had a heart
attack, it is the only way I can log in and pay bills. Yikes. But it did
finally boot on third try.

--
Amature Web Designer
www.frescaaire.com

wrote in message
[...]

Yes...please do post back with any results. It appears there are others
having the same problem with the trail Adobe program. I would be very
interested in what you find, and for the benefit of other readers who might
benefit from your research.