IE Version Number

GTS

6.0.2800.1106IC
Does anyone know what the IC in the version number means?
(Am looking at a problem on 2 Win 98 PCs. Both are identical except one
shows the IC and one doesn't.)

Don Varnau

Hi,
From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539

All versions of Internet Explorer 5.0 and later that are customized with
Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) include one of the
following strings after the version number when you click About on the Help
menu:
IC = Internet Content Provider
IS = Internet Service Provider
CO = Corporate Administrator

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

GTS

Thanks!

It looks like that provider sting would have no functional effect. The
problem that raised it is that a few Win 98 PC's with the latest IE and
service packs and patches have a problem displaying certain data while a few
others work fine. The problem machines pop up a message saying there's a
need to install Dynamic HTML Data Binding. If I click the button to
download the component, a progress bar flashes by looking like something is
being done, but the data still doesn't display and the same error happens
every time. Per a previous suggestion I double checked version info and the
version of wininet.dll on the failing and working machines - everything
matches.
If you have any idea how to further trouble shoot this, would appreciate
your thoughts.
--

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539

GTS said:
6.0.2800.1106IC
Does anyone know what the IC in the version number means?
(Am looking at a problem on 2 Win 98 PCs. Both are identical except one
shows the IC and one doesn't.)

PA Bear

It looks like that provider sting would have no functional effect.

Looks can be deceiving. We've seen many issues involving only IS, IC or CO
versions in Win9x.

1. First see
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ic+HTML+Data+Binding"&rnum=1#2ecf16cfb3818d5e

2. If no joy, try overinstalling IE6 SP1:

First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes
your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you
use, including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and overinstall.
Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.

Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

It looks like that provider sting would have no functional effect. The
problem that raised it is that a few Win 98 PC's with the latest IE and
service packs and patches have a problem displaying certain data while a
few others work fine. The problem machines pop up a message saying
there's a need to install Dynamic HTML Data Binding. If I click the
button to download the component, a progress bar flashes by looking like
something is being done, but the data still doesn't display and the same
error happens every time. Per a previous suggestion I double checked
version info and the version of wininet.dll on the failing and working
machines - everything matches.
If you have any idea how to further trouble shoot this, would appreciate
your thoughts.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539

GTS said:
6.0.2800.1106IC
Does anyone know what the IC in the version number means?
(Am looking at a problem on 2 Win 98 PCs. Both are identical except
one shows the IC and one doesn't.)

GTS

I tried the IE Setup reinstall previously, though I didn't try uninstalling
IE first. The link you gave has some good tips I'll check out.
Thanks!
--

PA Bear said:
[...]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539

"GTS" <x> wrote in message
6.0.2800.1106IC
Does anyone know what the IC in the version number means?
(Am looking at a problem on 2 Win 98 PCs. Both are identical except
one shows the IC and one doesn't.)

PA Bear

You don't need to uninstall IE6 first before overinstalling.

Don't forget to check the link I cited:

<QP>
Do you have Dynamic HTML installed? That solved a lot of problems for me.

Start|Settings|Control Panel and double click on ADD/Remove Programs.
Highlight "Internet Explorer SP1 and Internet tools" and click Add/Remove.

Select "Add a component" and click "OK".

Scroll down to Dynamic HTML Data Binding. If it does not appear in bold
letters, check the box and click "Next". You must be connected to the
Internet to download and install the latest version.
</QP>

If, when you first installed IE6 SP1, you chose not to install Dynamic HTML
Data Binding (or it wasn't included in your ISP- or computer
manufacturer-supplied version), overinstalling per my previous reply won't
install it.
--
~PA Bear

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539

"GTS" <x> wrote in message
6.0.2800.1106IC
Does anyone know what the IC in the version number means?
(Am looking at a problem on 2 Win 98 PCs. Both are identical
except one shows the IC and one doesn't.)

GTS

Thanks.
I was back at my clients site earlier this afternoon and found a solution.
The problem turned out to be that the file \windows\system\ATL.DLL was
missing on both computers. I had tried the two items you mention - running
IESetup and also adding the DHTML component from the Add/Remove programs
access. On one of the machines it reported that it couldn't install DHTML
because atl.dll was missing. I then downloaded the complete install for IE
6 - SP1 and ran the install with the option to completely reinstall all
components. This fixed it on both systems.

It's odd that both or these Win 98 machines had the identical problem. One
commonality was that both had installations of AOL 9 (which I always advise
clients not to install under Win 9X as it's very problematic). There's no
way to be sure, but I have a suspicion that may have been involved.
--

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539

"GTS" <x> wrote in message
6.0.2800.1106IC
Does anyone know what the IC in the version number means?
(Am looking at a problem on 2 Win 98 PCs. Both are identical
except one shows the IC and one doesn't.)

PA Bear

YW & thanks for posting back. I think your suspicions are valid and
probably true.

Did you uninstall IE6 SP1 prior to (re)installing it in the manner you
described?
--
~PA Bear

GTS wrote:
It looks like that provider sting would have no functional effect.
The problem that raised it is that a few Win 98 PC's with the
latest IE and service packs and patches have a problem displaying
certain data while a few others work fine. The problem machines
pop up a message saying there's a need to install Dynamic HTML
Data Binding. If I click the button to download the component, a
progress bar flashes by looking like something is being done, but
the data still doesn't display and the same error happens every
time. Per a previous suggestion I double checked version info
and the version of wininet.dll on the failing and working
machines - everything matches. If you have any idea how to
further trouble shoot this, would appreciate your thoughts.

From
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539

"GTS" <x> wrote in message
6.0.2800.1106IC
Does anyone know what the IC in the version number means?
(Am looking at a problem on 2 Win 98 PCs. Both are identical
except one shows the IC and one doesn't.)

GTS

I didn't uninstall first. (I figured if it failed I would try that as a
second alternative.) The IESetup detected that the same version was
already installed but gave a few options. I selected the one to reinstall
all components regardless (I forget the exact wording but it was to that
effect).
--

PA Bear said:
YW & thanks for posting back. I think your suspicions are valid and
probably true.

Did you uninstall IE6 SP1 prior to (re)installing it in the manner you
described?

<SNIP>

PA Bear

OK, thanks.