IE 7 uninstalled, now IE 6 broken!

I tried IE7 Beta Preview for a while, tried rendering some pages etc. I
uninstalled it via Add/Remove Programs. Whilst uninstalling, the uninstaller
hung on changing registry entries. Eventually it crashed with no error
message.

If I try and unistall again (it is still in the list in Add/Remove Programs)
it says I have to be the user that installed it. (I am the only user.).
nothing happens.

It loads up the homepage, and I can navigate from here using any links in
the page, though if I type in an address it says I do not have permissions to
do it.

What do I do?

I couldn't find the IE7 support forum, so refer me to there if you know of
one...

I am running WinXP.

Thanks!

Rich

Jan Il

Hi Rich :)

Here is something you might try, and I have also provided the newsgroup for
the IE7 Beta

IE7 can't be uninstalled from this user account

From Sandi H. - Posted to internetexplorer.general...

First, backup the registry or create a Restore Point. Then do the following:

Go to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Right click on Internet Explorer and select New String Value.
Name that value InstalledByUser. The value of the new String should be your
User account
name.

Click Ok and then close the Registry.

Newsgroup for IE7 Beta 2

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general newsgroup.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In your newsreader:

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ok, I added the key, now I can unistall it, but it hangs in the same place in
the uninstaller.

I have posted in the correct forum,

Thanks for your help!

Jan Il

Hi giant_toaster :)
Ok, I added the key, now I can unistall it, but it hangs in the same place
in
the uninstaller.

I have posted in the correct forum,

Thanks for your help!

You're very welcome! I'm sure the folks in the IE7 newsgroup will have you
back up and running in no time.

Good luck, and happy surfing!

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]