IE 6 hangs without http:// header in URL

donovan.colbert

I found the original post to this newsgroup, included below, while
recently trying to troubleshoot/resolve this issue. A check of the
registry values below confirmed that they did not even exist in the
registry where the original author, Frank Saunders, indicated they
would be. I added the keys listed below, and rebooted, but the problem
persists. A little background history. My first encounter with this was
with a client. At startup he is getting a dialog that "The application
svchost.exe has been shut down or terminated abnormally"... or
something to that effect. It then creates an error report. Regardless
of your action (send, don't send), it repeats, generally multiple
times. Sometimes it quits kicking up this error, sometimes it goes on
endlessly. Once into Windows XP Professional SP2, there are several
other common issues that show up. On opening Windows Explorer or
browsing My Computer, at the My Computer window you get a searching
flashlight and your drives and other resources do not show up for a
lengthy period. When opening Internet Explorer, the default homepage
comes up fine, and if you type in the FQDN with the protocol prefix, it
will resolve the name instantly. If you leave off the protocol prefix,
it takes a *long* period of time and then finally resolves the correct
hostname and displays the page.

Several days after encountering this problem on the client machine, I
began to encounter the same problem on my machine. As a matter of fact,
it was shortly after I upgraded an expired Norton Internet Security
2004 to Internet Security 2006.

To add a little more description of the issues I am encountering...
The two machines are disseperate machines. One is a high end,
multi-media Sony Viao notebook. The other is a DIY P4 3.4ghz HT
desktop. The similarities between both machines are...

Both running HP iPaqs with Activesync
Both running HP Print and Scan utilities for a HP 7310 all in One
officejet which is connected via ethernet.
Both running Norton Internet Security 2006

I believe one, two, or all three of these applications are causing
this issue, possibly in concert with a recent Windows update.
Additionally, my c:\windows\pchealth\errorrep\userdumps folder is
filling with two files... svchost.exe... .hdmp and svchost.exe..
..mdmp... one is 3,465kb in size, the second is 48kb in size. If I
delete these files when I am getting the pop up dialog at startup, it
seems to suppress the dialog, but these .dmp files keep populating in
this directory even when the message has disappeared. Spyware and
Virusscans show no malware, trojans or virus on these PCs... both PCs
have legitimate, registered and activated versions of XP Pro sp2 on
them. Firefox resolves fine, with or without the protocol prefix in
the URL.

Any suggestions?

From: T Illinois - view profile
Date: Thurs, Jan 5 2006 3:32 pm
Email: "T Illinois" <T (e-mail address removed)>
Groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Hi,

When I type in a URL, I used to be able to type 'www.google.com' and it

would default to http and would immediately load the page. However,
now, I
have to type in 'http://www.google.com' or it sits there and waits (the
top
right corner logo spins), but it waits for a while before it actually
attempts to make a connection to the site. Has anyone else experienced
this
problem or know of a way to overcome the problem.

Thanks.

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE - view profile
Date: Thurs, Jan 5 2006 3:54 pm
Email: "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

When I type in a URL, I used to be able to type 'www.google.com' and
it would default to http and would immediately load the page.
However, now, I have to type in 'http://www.google.com' or it sits
there and waits (the top right corner logo spins), but it waits for a
while before it actually attempts to make a connection to the site.
Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a way to overcome
the problem.

Thanks.

Using Regedit, browse to the following registry key and make sure the
noted
setting is correct:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoC­omplete]

"Append Completion"="yes"

also see the following values:

"Use AutoComplete"="yes"
"AutoSuggest"="no"

Click Start | Run and type
control inetcpl.cpl
Select Content tab, and click AutoComplete button
In the Use AutoComplete for section, put a checkmark near Web addresses

Click OK, OK to close the dialog.

Equivalent registry value for this setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoCo­mplete

Value named: AutoSuggest of type REG_SZ
Possible value-data: yes | no

You may have to Restart the computer.

See also: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/RepairDefaultPrefix.reg

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

Paranoid

Nobody else is experiencing this issue, really?!?

I figured being that I was experiencing it, and I had a client that
was experiencing it, and there has been no software exchange between
the two machines, that at least someone else must be having the same
problem. What are the odds.

[...]

Michel Merlin

Typing in your Address Bar:

google<Ctrl><Enter>

will open:

http://www.google.com

which will make a good workaround for your particular problem
(while of course, for other problems, it won't replace
the real cures others offerred first)

Paris, Wed 7 Jun 2006 11:25:50 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----

Robert Aldwinckle

which retitled a message in the thread originally titled:

Michel,

Please stop doing this. If someone wants to find all the messages
in this thread or is sorting messages by Subject they won't be able
to include yours or any replies to yours.

I don't mind seeing subthreads labeled by *appending* something
to the original Subject because that doesn't affect either of the above
procedures.

Fortunately Google Groups now seems to keep better track of such
messages. Previously, your message might have appeared as an orphan
with which users would have had to hunt down the rest of the containing
thread using the Message-ID in your message's References: header.

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...gle+group:microsoft.*&rnum=3#53370270f372694a

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Michel Merlin

Please use *Threaded Display* of messages; in Outlook Express:

OE > View > Current View > Group Messages by Conversation

This will let you clearly see threads.

For the impaired ones unable to do this (who are less and less
as yourself are noticing), not only do I already include
Parent Messages as most are doing, but in addition
(and as NONE DOES SO FAR) I even add clickable links to those
Parent Messages, I indent at 64 char (which works everywhere
even in the most impaired printers/systems/people), I drop the
stupid harmful useless indent signs (as ">") that would break
display/printing in further quotations.

Using threads (as they were intended) finally lets writers (as
me) make a true and appropriate title for each message. Here, my
title:

« "google<Ctrl><Enter>" will open "http://www.google.com" »

clearly tells visitors what that particular message is about,
and in addition allows them to know it without even opening that
message; some things your own title:

« Re: IE 6 hangs without http:// header in URL »

wouldn't have provided.

And please look around: you will see that even the worse
anti-evolution fanatics have stopped forcing people to always
stick to outdated plain text (which I still use nevertheless
trying to not tease them too much) and to make wrong titles for
messages in order to help readers who still are unable to know
what threads are.

BTW, thanks if you can tell me how you preserve your long URL
for the google view from being crippled in a plain text message;
using OE, I couldn't. Anyway that long URL (unfortunately
crippled here):

http://groups.google.com/group/micr..._frm/thread/cb19682a2aa92a/53370270f372694a?l
nk=st&q=author%3Amichel+insubject%3Agoogle+group%3Amicrosoft.*&rnum=3#53370270f372694a

can be replaced with http://tinyurl.com/jg3ny , that duly redirects to it.

Paris, Thu 8 Jun 2006 13:37:50 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----

Paranoid

PA said:
That bridge is missing its troll again.

<snip>

And I'm still missing an actual resoltuion, although you guys all seem
content to hijack my thread to bitch about posting etiquitte.

Although the work-around is better than nothing, and gives me
something to offer my client... so thanks for that... and I *believe*
it is the guy who is being called a troll who offered the suggestion...
go figger...

Michel Merlin

« I *believe* it is the guy who is being called a troll
who offered the suggestion »

Thanks a lot for daring telling the truth publicly. It's very
rare (because dangerous) that someone supports the helpful
against the hordes of "I-know-all" (who generally know little:
the most vocal and arrogant, the less knowledgeable).
I am sadly surprised to find today "PA Bear" in that horde
(or was he addressing the actual troll, Robert Aldwinckle?).

Back to topic, typing www.yahoo.com in the Address Bar of an
IE window brings me a drop-down list starting with
http://www.yahoo.com, so I have just to hit once <Down Arrow>
then <Return>, and I get on the site. I don't remember exactly
which tries and changes I made in the recent years in
"IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced" (or in the Registry)
before I found a situation that satisfies me, so I am
not surprised you can be annoyed with this. I bear with you
and I hope you find something that pleases you.

Paris, Wed 14 Jun 2006 11:05:20 +0200

From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Message: Sent: Fri 9 Jun 2006 13:56:29 -0400 (17:56:29 GMT)
Conversation" in OE)