IE 6.0 crashes ws2_32.dll error

Hello,

One day after McAfee Virus Scan updated itself to Ver. 10 I began to get
"program must close errors" from IE 6.0 and Norton System works all listing a
problem with ws2_32.dll. The error shows up when in IE when I click on a
site that begins a download operation or other active operation, McAfee
install and Check Health utility. I could not run the Passport Registration
routine need to post this message, it too caused IE to crash. I do not get a
warning about blocked pop-ups just the error window.

The IE error message details are always App:explorer.exe,
APPVer:6.0.2900.2180, ModName:ws2_32.dll, ModVer:5.1.2600.2180,
Offset:000061f8.

The appearance on the taskbar will switch to Windows Old Style after the
Error window closes. New IE windows will also appear in Old Style. The
Norton prgram that has the problem is nwiz.exe, the scanning programs still
work. McAfee did not find any viruses when it scanned my system. I run
Ad-Aware regularly and clean my Internet Temp files daily. I am running Win
XP Pro SP2 on an AMD 2100 with 1GB of memory. I was fully updated according
to the MicroSoft site as of last week. Trying to fix the problem McAfee Tech
Support had me uninstall my McAfee programs. I can't reinstall from their
wedsite now. They told me to check with MicroSoft support about my problem.

What do I need to do to correct this problem? It has left me with limited
internet capability.

Don Varnau

Don,

I ran 'netsh Winsock reset' and the error repeated. I then ran Winsock
fix and the error reoccured. I did get McAfee to download and install before
I did any of the Winsock operations, so I have been confirmed virus free. IE
still crashes at the Win Passport login page. Giving the same error message
and details:
App:explorer.exe, APPVer:6.0.2900.2180, ModName:ws2_32.dll,
ModVer:5.1.2600.2180,Offset:000061f8
What is the MS passport login page trying to do just as it opens? I am
having to use my Univ. computer lab to post messages here.

McAfee E-mail scan gives a similar error when I open OE to look at my
mail. The application name changes but it is still ws2_32.dll cited as the
problem but with offset:000061dc. I checked the details of ws2_32.dll; it is
in Windows/system32 and was last modified in 2004. When I searched for
ws2_32.dll there were older files but they are located in a CAB and an
uninstall directory. The older version is never cited in the error message
details.

What can I try now? Win XP full verson was installed on this machine
from CD. I am connecting to the Internet using BellSouth DSL. The computer
connects by ethernet to a Westel DSL modem. What information from my
computer would be of use?
--
Sincerely,
Weasel

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
ws2_32.dll is a Winsock file. Try these steps...

XP SP2...
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
netsh Winsock reset

Next option...
Download and run WinsockFix from
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
or http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Weasel" wrote in message
[...]

Did this error occur while McAfee was uninstalled? Also, McAfee's real time
e-mail scan is notorious for causing data loss in Outlook Express. I would
disable e-mail scan. You will still be protected if you try to open or save
an infected file.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Weasel" wrote in message

Robert Aldwinckle

Weasel said:
Hello,

One day after McAfee Virus Scan updated itself to Ver. 10 I began to get
"program must close errors" from IE 6.0 and Norton System works all listing a
problem with ws2_32.dll. The error shows up when in IE when I click on a
site that begins a download operation or other active operation, McAfee
install and Check Health utility. I could not run the Passport Registration
routine need to post this message, it too caused IE to crash. I do not get a
warning about blocked pop-ups just the error window.

The IE error message details are always App:explorer.exe,
APPVer:6.0.2900.2180, ModName:ws2_32.dll, ModVer:5.1.2600.2180,
Offset:000061f8.

The location of the crash may not be as significant as the callers
at the time of the crash. If you have a drwtsn32.log look for a line
(e.g. from the bottom) which is prefixed by FAULT -> (assuming an
English version of Windows). The section which follows that is called
the Stack Back Trace and may contain clues about the callers.
Also, the section after that (the Raw Stack Dump) sometimes contains
readable strings in the interpreted portion (the drwtsn32 Help apparently
calls this ASCII data).

BTW if the crash is always in explorer.exe the problem symptoms
aren't really pointing at IE. You may get better help from a newsgroup
which specializes in your OS, in particular a networking newsgroup.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---