.ics file "not a valid Internet Calendar file"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Calendar' started by WisconsinSteve, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. I have received several .ics files from various travel web sites (e.g.,
    expedia.com) showing my travel itineraries, but when I attempt to import them
    into my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar, I get a message that the file is
    "not a valid Internet Calendar file." Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
     
    WisconsinSteve, Apr 16, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. WisconsinSteve <> wrote:

    > I have received several .ics files from various travel web sites
    > (e.g., expedia.com) showing my travel itineraries, but when I attempt
    > to import them into my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar, I get a
    > message that the file is "not a valid Internet Calendar file." Any
    > ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can provide.


    Googling this problem indicates that there may be specific iCal statements
    that OL 2007 might not like. Open the ics file with Notepad and remove the
    BYDAY phrase if you see one. See if that makes a difference.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
     
    Brian Tillman, Apr 17, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Thanks for trying, Brian, but none of my .ics or .vcs files had a BYDAY
    phrase. Any other ideas of "bad" phrases I should be looking for? When I
    open my files in Notepad, they seem to follow the general .ics or .vcs
    format. I am really frustrated by this.

    "Brian Tillman" wrote:

    > WisconsinSteve <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have received several .ics files from various travel web sites
    > > (e.g., expedia.com) showing my travel itineraries, but when I attempt
    > > to import them into my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar, I get a
    > > message that the file is "not a valid Internet Calendar file." Any
    > > ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can provide.

    >
    > Googling this problem indicates that there may be specific iCal statements
    > that OL 2007 might not like. Open the ics file with Notepad and remove the
    > BYDAY phrase if you see one. See if that makes a difference.
    > --
    > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    >
     
    WisconsinSteve, Apr 18, 2008
    #3
  4. WisconsinSteve

    Gordon Guest

    "WisconsinSteve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thanks for trying, Brian, but none of my .ics or .vcs files had a BYDAY
    > phrase. Any other ideas of "bad" phrases I should be looking for? When I
    > open my files in Notepad, they seem to follow the general .ics or .vcs
    > format. I am really frustrated by this.
    >


    Where are you trying to import these files from? (ie where are they on your
    computer?)
     
    Gordon, Apr 18, 2008
    #4
  5. The files I am attempting to import are on my Desktop.

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "WisconsinSteve" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Thanks for trying, Brian, but none of my .ics or .vcs files had a BYDAY
    > > phrase. Any other ideas of "bad" phrases I should be looking for? When I
    > > open my files in Notepad, they seem to follow the general .ics or .vcs
    > > format. I am really frustrated by this.
    > >

    >
    > Where are you trying to import these files from? (ie where are they on your
    > computer?)
    >
    >
     
    WisconsinSteve, Apr 18, 2008
    #5
  6. This problem has been solved. Should anyone have a similar problem, I
    thought I should share my experience with you. It turns out that I still had
    an earlier version of Outlook active, even though I had installed Outlook
    2007 (and thought it had removed all earlier versions of Outlook). When I
    removed the earlier version of Outlook, the problem went away. Good luck to
    you all, and I hope I have been able to save you some grief.

    "WisconsinSteve" wrote:

    > I have received several .ics files from various travel web sites (e.g.,
    > expedia.com) showing my travel itineraries, but when I attempt to import them
    > into my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar, I get a message that the file is
    > "not a valid Internet Calendar file." Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?
    > Thanks for any help you can provide.
     
    WisconsinSteve, Apr 22, 2008
    #6
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Thomas Winteler

    Export whole Outlook calendar to one ics file

    Thomas Winteler, Nov 6, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Calendar
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    901
    Sue Mosher [MVP]
    Nov 6, 2003
  2. Guest
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    896
    Guest
    Jul 4, 2005
  3. Guest
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,250
    BillR
    Oct 10, 2007
  4. mandster

    not a valid internet file

    mandster, Feb 23, 2009, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Calendar
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    398
    mandster
    Feb 23, 2009
  5. CTabor

    Why do some .ics go into Events Calendar not my main one?

    CTabor, Apr 7, 2010, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Calendar
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    385
    Diane Poremsky [MVP]
    Apr 8, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page