I want to learn from scratch [Linux]

Reaction score
Linux is a good O/S, saying that, i've started pondering with Windows Servers now also, but 99% of the ones i work with are Linux anyway so it's all good.

You can do a lot with Linux, you just need patience and at times, another computer with Windows so that if something goes wrong on the install, you can shoot to the other PC and Google it ;)

I use CentOS 4.2 on my laptop here, it's a good setup.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for all the info on Linux.:D

Think i will read up on it all and then at some point install it, what is the most user friendly version or is it a case some versions are easier to start with? Also i know you can download or buy Linux on line or at PCWorld (dont laugh) how do these versions differ to the dowloadable versions?

Reaction score
For your first steps into linux i would suggest a distro like suse or pclos,mandriva is okay.And alot of people swear by ubuntu so those would be good ones to try..as far as the differences between the downloadable versions and the paid version..it's basically that the bought versions contain some extra apps that require licensing fees,so they won't be included in the free versions..but the biggest difference is in support,when you buy suse you get online support from them,when you download it you don't..not a biggie really considering how helpfull linux forums can be...so basically download the freebee's :)

Reaction score
Linux is cool and it means no more money to Mr Gates & Microsoft. Now that's a result:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I want learn from scratch

Hello murdoch,
I am keen to have a go at Linux. Have suse 10 disks but have been too busy buggering up my pc to do anything yet (its getting better).
Cheers,
peahouse05:thumb:

TvL

Reaction score
Linux from scratch?

Hi I read your opening post and the title.
If you really want to learn Linux from scratch, I suggest you don't start with a distro like Suse or Ubuntu. Those distro's are very comfortable, and don't teach you linux from scratch. Those distro's learn you how to click and play like Windows. At least that's my experience when I wanted to learn linux.
I started with Suse, but that one did not recognized my network card, so I couldn't do anything. I installed Fedora (RedHat) and that worked like a charm... yet I still didn't know anything about linux, except that Fedora was easy to install just like Windows.

Well... my advice: If you really want to learn linux from scratch, go to www.gentoo.org and try to build your own linux system using Gentoo Linux. The installation manual will guide you through the setup steps and will give you in depth information on how linux works. If you understand this basis... it's not important anymore what distro you have. They are all almost the same underneath the graphical tools.

1 Thing, when you are considering the use of Gentoo, it takes time...

I hope my post was of use...

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I want to learn Linux from scratch

Thanks for the replies,
Will be messing about with SUSE 10/10.1 for a while yet and have found it really interesting so far - wish I hadn't bought XP!
I will eventually want to do exactly as you suggest. You do not need to use anything complex to get these distros working but I have learnt a bit about drivers!
Thanks for the links,
peahouse05
icon14.gif
Can't remember how to get smilies working in Linux!

Last edited:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I want to learn Linux from scratch

Hello Guys,
Sorry, did not look back far enough - not my thread. Still grateful for the info.
Cheers,
peahouse05:blush:

Ask a Question