I want to learn from scratch [Linux]

Reaction score
As some of you are familiar with linux,;) and I am an absolute beginner so :D

I would like some good> easy> to understand links posted please:eek: , I know you guys and gals will help in this matter and I thank you :thumb: MS are getting on my nerves WATBS they come out with :p

Reaction score
Learn Linux

I want to learn Linux to, so i bought the current issue of PC Pro (April06).
It comes with SUSE Linux Live 10 as an ISO, burn it on to a DVD R Disc, put it in your DVD Drive and re-boot the PC, it loads automatically and is run only from the disc, so no changes to your PC. It's a good way to learn and look at Linux without installing it.:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
feckit said:
I want to learn Linux to, so i bought the current issue of PC Pro (April06).
It comes with SUSE Linux Live 10 as an ISO, burn it on to a DVD R Disc, put it in your DVD Drive and re-boot the PC, it loads automatically and is run only from the disc, so no changes to your PC. It's a good way to learn and look at Linux without installing it.:D
Ah yes, a very good point! http://www.knoppix.com/ is similar too, I use it sometimes as it boots from a CD and doesn't make any big changes. Worth trying SUSE Live or Knoppix to get to grips first :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello "boys" welcome to my land of nutters ... be sure to register as a Linux user and join my FREE club for insane Linux users, we have 2 members. :D

The best place to look for ANY Distro is ... http://distrowatch.com/ ... on the right column you'll find a compleat list of "flavours" for your enjoyment.

May I recommend you stick to the top ten on the list ... all have a "liveCD" you can try out on your PC ... some of those Live CD will also install a full version on your PC. However, some Live CDs will not let you do much but play on the internet or check to see if your PC is compatable.

I do not recommend "Dual-Boot" if you value any data on your PC ... Dual-Boot can and does go wrong and in some cases will entail installing from scratch. For most part Dual-Booting works well.

If you are a games player, Linux is not for you, if you think Windows, Linux is not for you, if you are not willing to RTFM, Linux is not for you ... if you wish to try "something different" then Linux is for you, if you are fed-up with viruses, worms, spyware, then Linux is for you, if you wish to Learn how an OS works, then Linux is for you.

I know very little on Linux, but it does what I need my PC to do, and does it without crashing, without complaint and completely and utterly FREE.

:D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know very little on Linux, but it does what I need my PC to do, and does it without crashing, without complaint and completely and utterly FREE.

Thats just gotta be a good thing.....:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well said Mucks, totaly agree with what you've outlined there.

I don't know bugger-all about the finer points of Linux, I don't know or understand the text commands, but I'm managing to use Suse 10 Ok.

I would recommend Suse 10, you'll have to download and install some stuff to play mp3's and DVD's, but links & help is readily available out there. Mucks & tjm4fun helped me get it just so, all anybody gotta do is ask, not feel like a newb, and you should get help. I did.

Linux has (almost) come of age.

Most newbs can get their head round latest distros.

It ain't that easy, granted, but if you're determined, like having a free OS and are prepared to make a little effort, then LInux is absolutely fantastic.

I been running Suse 10 coupla months now, it's update processs is very very easy, I like it.

And if you only have the one computer with Windows on it, dual boot is not a nightmare at all, I've run several dual boot systems.

Partitioning software, such as Partition Magic, helps here, although you can make partitions with most Linux distro installs, it is a little complicated compared to Partition Magic.

Download your ISO's, use md5sum checks, and burn. Take your time, study, and all will be good.

I honestly believe this is the future, Bill Gates and his overpriced OS may just, just, have their monopoly threatened.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I want to learn from scratch too. I installed UBUNTU on an old PC and it ran slower than win 98. I am probably wrong but I think it is too much like windows.
peahouse05

Reaction score
I'm really thinking of just buying a cheap pc or laptop with linux on it as the only O/S or is that going a bit OTT!:eek: Or should i have a dual boot pc that would be stable to run MS & Linux together?:D

Are their any manufacturers out their that do Linux as standard on their PC's?
Really strange all this, 8 years of working with MS & i really want to leave the darkside(MS) and join the rebels (Linux) to fight the evil menace!:eek: :D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hey Mucks

How do we register for membership of your masterclass on Linux? :confused:

I'm thinking of giving it a go when I can de-commission of of my older machines, just to see how it hangs together. Don't panic, it's not gong near the big bugger until I understand Linux backwards ...... about 2020 by my last calculation! :D

V22

Reaction score
Linux: good, bug free and free no £££

Microsoft: crap, lots of bugs & virus's and costs £££

muckshifter

Reaction score
How do we register for membership of your masterclass on Linux?
There is no "masterclass" I'm no 'expert' but you can use me as a stepping stone and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

I know how Suse works and I know how to do use a Konsole, up to a point, but there are a 'breed' of helpers out there that don't keep telling you to RTFM ... you can "register" HERE as a Linux user. As for registering as an insane Linux user, that's easy, just put it in your sig', currently there are two members ... me and Ady (it is just a joke thing) ;)

feckit ... there are "Experts" out there who will just tell you not to bother with Linux on a Laptop, and others who will try and assist ... As for PC's bundled with Linux, try Google or http://linux.about.com/od/news/a/mandrakepc.htm

Simple solution is to get a PC with no OS and try your own to see which one you like the best. :thumb:

I liked Mandriva, used to be called Mandrake, but my PC Liked Suse ... ;)

V22 ... sorry, you 'comment' is incorrect. ;)

peahouse05 ... you may need to find an "older" Linux that will be more in tune with an older PC ... :D

:cool:

Reaction score
Ok I thank you one and all for your replies,

I am going to use a new PC built last week and just install Linux:D , I will however be asking more questions :confused: so Mucks >Flopps> Ian> and the rest of you will help I am sure thanks again guys!:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I want to learn from scratch

Thanks Muckshifter,
So its SUSE and loads of questions!
Cheers,
peahouse05:D

Reaction score
when you guy's are done test driving suse then maybe you can take the slackware Hotrod for a spin :D

Reaction score
Linux suse live 10

I'm going to stick to Linux SUSE 10 Live for the time being, as it does not install on to your pc, booting it from the CD and see how i get on. But i really do want to start to migrate from Windows. Open Office is as good as MS Office and unless you really use all the packages or build big databases you will not notice a difference, it's a case of getting used to it, oh and it's free:thumb: :D :cool:

Reaction score
linux is free

So muckshifter your the man when it comes to Linux, then?:cool:

I suppose my real reason for wanting to change is £££ and the fact that Linux is said to be more stable. What would be the best way to learn more about Linux? I have Linux SUSE 10 live which i boot from the DVD and does not install on my pc, thought i would get used to this first.

muckshifter

Reaction score
feckit said:
So muckshifter your the man when it comes to Linux, then?:cool:
Nope! But I solely use Linux on my main PC and a 'cruncher' that is also a test PC. ;)

I suppose my real reason for wanting to change is £££ and the fact that Linux is said to be more stable. What would be the best way to learn more about Linux? I have Linux SUSE 10 live which i boot from the DVD and does not install on my pc, thought i would get used to this first.
Not much you can do with Suse Live ... all you'll succeed in doing is making sure your PC can run it ... you can "look" at this-n-that, but that's about it.

:)

Ask a Question