I have to re-apply my thermal paste every few weeks: is this normal?

Reaction score
Over time (ie days, weeks, not hours and minutes) the temp of my CPU rises with use. It hit 50 degrees within 10 minutes of startup earlier tonight, so off it went. This has been happening to me for a while now, but the temp has never got so high. To solve it, I re-apply my thermal paste (Antec Reference Silver compound) and the temp drops to 43/44 degs. has anyone else got a problem like this? My proc. is an OC`d 2000+. I`m using a ducted 8cm fan (am waiting on a 12 in the post at the mo).

Any ideas?

As an aside on the subject of cooling, I use ducting because I have a rear case fan pretty near my CPU HSF. The CPU fan is blowing cold air onto the CPU, not pushing hot air away. I reckon that without ducting, a % of the air that comes through the hole in the side of my case will be "stolen" by the rear case fan, and uselessly pushed out the back. PSU`s with fans above the CPU receive the same criticism based on the same idea, although I hear they help lower the CPU temp....

Any comments/ voices of reason to sort out my strange ideas? :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
A new Processor fan!

Try the Gigabite 3D Cooler Pro, its supposed to be one of the best there is, and its only £30!

Reaction score
don't silver compounds go through stages where the temeperatures will alter with time then settle down after a few weeks?

i know arctic silver does just that

Reaction score
:( I dont want my CPU temp to settle at 50 :( 44 is nicer. Low/Mid 30`s is even better! I may buy a big chunk of copper if my new fan doesnt help much.

Cheers, as always,

Kenny

Reaction score
just get some arctic silver 5, apply that and then

l e a v e

i t

a l o n e

hehe - you will find the compound needs time to stabalise so the temperatures will act strange.

50 is not bad by the way - i once had an Athlon 2100 and it sat at 76 degrees sometimes.

The start dying at 90 degrees so you dont have much to worry about at all!

Reaction score
yep, get yourself some artic silver 5 and a decent fan.

or you could just keep the machine in your freezer!

J

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
overclocked to what?

1729MHz, comes up in BIOS as a 2100+. Hopefully i`m-a get some more juice out of it when I get my new mobo. i`ve been away for a few days, and my new CPU was waiting for me when I got back. Will fit it tonight, and let y`all know how I get on :) *crosses fingers* :)

Reaction score
no, no... I take it back. After the unwelcome appearance of smoke, I`ve pulled something from nothing and my fan is now working :) needed some butchered soldering and some Kenny magic, but it works :) Still to attach it properly, but its lookin good so far :)

Reaction score
ARGH! my new fan is attached and running from a molex. My CPU temp is still 51. Gutted. PLus I`m now half deaf in my left ear. Bu**er.

Reaction score
Have had a few cursory looks at watercooling. And the Thermaltake Silent tower. Any thoughts? :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Re: Forget your Artic Silver ...

Shin Etsu G-751

... get some, if you can, and be amazed.

Look for it in a "pad" as its "putty-like" nature makes it hard to apply to the CPU. That is one reason why its not so "popular" with your average home builder, another reason is its not that easy to find a supplier.

Shin Etsu G-751 commanded a full 3 degrees lower temperature on the first day at load. On the third day, this lead had increased to 7 full degrees Celsius at load.
Failing that, get some CoolerMaster Premium (w/Shin Etsu), if contains Shin Etsu G-751 but is easier to spread.

:D

Reaction score
Damn... you`re too late :( I bought some Arctic Silver 5 yesterday, waitin on it in the post :) Maybe next time, have taken a note of it :) Thanks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry Kenny, its not very often I take an interest in OC'ers, I usually have a rye grin on my face and move on. :p

:D

Reaction score
LOL LOL... :) i`m not so much an OC`er, I`m just after cool and quiet. I`m very close to quiet, just want cool now. Incidently, I put the original CPU fan back on, and the temp is now at an acceptable 46 degress. Although the Heatsink did move a wee bit as I screwed the fan back on. Ah well... at least the 12cm fan wasnt expensive. :)

Ask a Question