I have got the following message : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"

Alex Vinokur

I have got the following message :

From : (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>
Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"

Dear Windows User!
New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
Best regards,
Windows Update Group

Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

=====================================
Alex Vinokur
mailto:[email protected]
=====================================

Richard

From : (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>

Dear Windows User!
New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
Best regards,
Windows Update Group

Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

Thanks,

First of all, the domain name has nothing to do with microsoft.
Check it out for yourself and you'll see it is not the update site.
Secondly, microsoft does not send out e-mails about security patches or any
other item.
Thirdly, if you clicked open any attachment, you may now have a virus if you
are not protected with a good anti-virus detector.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

This is the actual windows update site.

AVG is a good, free antivirus program.
www.grisoft.com

NEMISIES

I have got the following message :

From : (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>

Dear Windows User!
New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
Best regards,
Windows Update Group

Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

Thanks,

Delete It !! Microsoft Does NOT POST UPDATES !!

Id@ M@nn

I have got the following message :

From : (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>

Dear Windows User!
New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
Best regards,
Windows Update Group

Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

Thanks,

no, read up a bit, this is a fake.

Id@

DON'T BE A FOOL! Do you really think you're going to get email from a reliable
source like this? This is a scam or most likely a virus, but it sure isn't a
genuine patch to the O/S!

wayne

this will install a Trojan on your computer if you like viruses and want
someone to use your computer to send Spam go ahead and download it!

Otherwise delete it.

any Microsoft patch will be located at Microsoft.com

use your browser to go to any site as links can be faked in messages too!

Wayne

Marty

Somewhere around Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:49:51 +0300, while reading
alt.os.windows2000, I think I thought I saw this post from "Alex Vinokur"
I have got the following message :

From : (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>

Dear Windows User!
New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
Best regards,
Windows Update Group
Definitely not. It is not even a US web site, it's nothing like what
Microsoft would send, Microsoft probably wouldn't say "as earlier as
possible".

I don't know what they're up to, but it's probably no good. There is a
legitimate web site called windowsupdate.com, but this is not them.

EvilBill[AGQx]

From : (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>

Dear Windows User!
New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier
as possible.
You can download an update patch on Windows Update site:
http://www.windows-update.com Best regards,
Windows Update Group

It's not absolutely essential, ie, your PC won't stop working or
anything if you don't. Most people recommend updating. I don't, but
then I have troubles with anything post-SP2.

* Usenet is a black hole. Once you're in, you can never get out.

E-mail: evilbill @ lineone . net (remove spaces to e-mail)
AIM: EvilBill1782
MSN: (e-mail address removed) (do not e-mail me here!)
Web: http://www.angelfire.com/alt/evilbill/index.html

Matriarch Kheperkare - Lvl 94 Javazon - Open
Matriarch EB-Amarice - Lvl 92 Bowazon - USWest

Slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as EvilBill[AGQx] continued:
It's not absolutely essential, ie, your PC won't stop working or
anything if you don't. Most people recommend updating. I don't, but
then I have troubles with anything post-SP2.

Is your name Bullis ?
Are you absolutely devoid of all knowledge ?
Read the other answers.

"If you ain't sure just say so, don't make yourself look really dumb."

Marty

Somewhere around Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:56:15 +0100, while reading
microsoft.public.win2000.general, I think I thought I saw this post from
Hairy One Kenobi said:
Only if Microsoft have moved:

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.
OrgID: TPCM
Address: 1333 North Stemmons Freeway
Address: Suite 110
City: Dallas
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 75207
Country: US
Where did you get that information? I get:
Domain Name : WINDOWS-UPDATE.COM
Created On : 2003-06-22
Expiration Date : 2004-06-22
Registrant Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
Registrant Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
Registrant City : Stockholm
Registrant State/Province : N/a
Registrant Postal Code : 11322
Registrant Country : SE
Admin Handle : EP31617
Admin Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
Admin Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
Admin City : Stockholm
Admin State/Province : N/a
Admin Postal Code : 11322
Admin Country : SE
Admin Phone : +46.8312097
Admin Email : (e-mail address removed)
Tech Handle : EP31617
Tech Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
Tech Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
Tech City : Stockholm
Tech State/Province : N/a
Tech Postal Code : 11322
Tech Country : SE
Tech Phone : +46.8312097
Tech Email : (e-mail address removed)
Billing Handle : EP31617
Billing Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
Billing Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
Billing City : Stockholm
Billing State/Province : N/a
Billing Postal Code : 11322
Billing Country : SE
Billing Phone : +46.8312097
Billing Email : (e-mail address removed)
Name Server : CP1.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
Name Server : CP2.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
Name Server : CP3.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
Name Server : CP4.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
Registrar Name : NAMEBAY
Registrar WebSite : http://www.namebay.com

aNdY_05

I have also received that email and turned out to be a virus.
My advice - delete it without opening

Richard

Pepys said:
Oh no it's not!!

You need to clean your glasses and your monitor.
First line on the website in big bold letters "FREE".
There is a "pro" version which you pay for.

Richard

Hairy One Kenobi said:
Only if Microsoft have moved:

Your results shown are for the IP block owner, not the domain name.
If you'd scroll up just above what you copied, you'd find the actual
information.