I cna't send mail

The error message is: Subject 'Thinking of you', Account:
'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

or: Subject 'Thinking of you', Account: 'pop3.ajula.edu', Server:
'smtp.ajula.edu', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x800CCC19

depending on the email address i send from!
HELP PLEASE!!!

Dave

Is this something that worked before?
Do you have your antivirus program set to scan email? If so, try turning it
off.

I have been using Windows Mail for 4 months without a problem. it just
started on Friday. I tried to send with and without security, etc. and it
doesnt work. Any suggestions?

Gary VanderMolen

Define "without security".
Many have posted here that no relief was obtained until the antivirus
program (McAfee or Norton) was completely uninstalled.

Gary VanderMolen

I have tried it with and without PCcillin turned on for outgoing mail. I can
send if I am on an unsecured network, but on the secured network for my
residence, I can't send. I'm not sure where to go.
Thanks for help!
EVE

KristleBawl

That's important. Your mail setting are correct but your 'secure network' is
blocking it. Maybe the firewall is set up to block port 25.

KB

"EVE" wrote in message

Do you know how to fix that?

KristleBawl said:
That's important. Your mail setting are correct but your 'secure network' is
blocking it. Maybe the firewall is set up to block port 25.

KB

"EVE" wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

It doesn't matter. Error Number 0x800CCC19 always means a time-out with the server.

Gary VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

At least one of the two error messages is quite understandable.
SMTP on port 25 is only allowed if your Internet connectivity at that moment is
coming from that network. So, at the time you got the error from
smtp.comcast.net, was Comcast providing that Internet connection?
At the time you got the error from smtp.ajula.edu, was that University
providing that Internet connection?

People typically run into this 'port 25 block' trouble when they are at an
Internet café or random Wi-Fi hotspot.

Gary VanderMolen

KristleBawl

Yes, but my search in the KB showed a variety of reasons, based on the error
message, so I didn't know where to start. :)

KB

in message

So, I am on a different network now, so how do i get it to work? Any help is
greatly appreciated!

Gary VanderMolen

It would help if you explained your circumstances in more detail.
Who is your current ISP?
Do you have a laptop computer and you travel with it frequently?

Gary VanderMolen

I'm afraid I don't know who my service provider is now. Yes, I am using a
laptop, and yes, i travel frequently. I haven't had this problem at all in
the past 4 months of travel. The most recent secure network I used as a
comcast network, and i had no trouble. I have no trouble sending on an
unsecured network around here, just the one secured network for my current
living space.
THANKS!

Gary VanderMolen

Secured versus unsecured network is not the issue.

The issue you are facing is explained here:
http://www.commercestreet.com/Blocking_Port_25.htm
http://www.postmaster.aol.com/faq/port25faq.html

Here is a partial list of ISPs blocking use of port 25 when off-network:
http://www.edigestsupport.com/index.php?action=kb&article=10

There are three possible workarounds:

1. Always use the SMTP server belonging to the network which is providing your
Internet connectivity at that moment. This is difficult if you travel a lot.

2. Ask your regular ISP if they provide SMTP service on a port other than '25'.
Apparently you have a valid login for comcast.net. Comcast offers SMTP
on port 587, see
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=EmailOutlook_Express18534

3. Get a free Gmail account, configure it for POP. Use it for all your sending
chores.

Hope this helps.

Gary VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

Then you're doing something wrong.
Please submit a copy of the error message for each of the workarounds
you have tried.

Gary VanderMolen

I can now receive, but still cannot send. It is the same error message as
before only with port 587.
Any other suggestions?

The error message is: Subject 'Thinking of you', Account:
'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

or: Subject 'Thinking of you', Account: 'pop3.ajula.edu', Server:
'smtp.ajula.edu', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x800CCC19

Gary VanderMolen

First of all, I have my doubts that smtp.ajula.edu even offers SMTP on port 587.
You can only use ports that the particular server administrator has made available.

From the symptoms it would appear that some type of security software, either
on your laptop or on the home local area network, is blocking outgoing connections
on smtp.comcast.net. Sorry, I can't pinpoint the cause any closer than that.

Gary VanderMolen