    Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)

    I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would be
    welcome.

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    ANONYMOUS Guest

    I sugest read this article which is relatively new and might just solve
    your problem:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159/

    Hope this helps.

    ANONYMOUS, Mar 22, 2007

    dean-dean Guest

    If you don't have "Use real-time protection" checked in Windows Defender >
    Tools > Options, then Malware Protection in Security Center will show as
    being turned off. Try this: Open Windows Defender by right-clicking on its
    icon and choosing Run As Administrator. Make sure there is a check in the
    box for "Use real-time protection". Click on the Save button. Security
    Center should now show that Malware Protection is turned on.

    dean-dean, Mar 22, 2007

    dean-dean Guest

    Your Engine and Definition versions are as updated as they are going to get,
    as of this posting. By WD Version, I'm assuming you mean version
    1.1.1505.0, which is also correct for Vista. What I'm curious about is how
    turning on Malware Protection in Security Center triggers "?" to look for
    new definitions. I can't reproduce this. What is triggered: Windows
    Update? Windows Defender? I may be missing something...

    The Find a Program button for virus protection should take you to this link,
    if you don't have an anti-virus program:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/windowsvistaav.mspx

    dean-dean, Mar 22, 2007
  5. Windows Defender is not an antivirus, so I wouldn't expect the Security
    Center to acknowledge it as such.

    If you have, in fact, installed Windows Live OneCare, that is, in fact, an
    antivirus, and also combines within it Windows Defender's protection--so it
    turns off Windows Defender.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Mar 23, 2007

    I have been to your link, Anonymous, and followed the directions, which is
    probably how all my versions and definitions are up to date. But it didn't
    help the original problem.

    dean-dean: Real time protection is (and was) checked. Clicking the "turn
    on Malware Protection" button triggers the Security Center to go look for
    definitions and always returns the message "Security Center can't update
    definitions for Windows Defender."

    Bill--I don't think I have Windows One Care installed, at least
    intentionally. McAfee came with the system and was apparently recognized
    until a few days ago. This problem cropped up at the same time as the
    Malware problem.

    Thank you all for your help. Please keep trying! Vista may be driving me
    nuts, but you guys are great!

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007

    dean-dean Guest

    I like your moniker, by the way. A number of people in the Vista newsgroups
    have reported Security Center showing misinformation, although your problem
    with the Malware Protection status is the first I've seen. People are
    usually stating that they have uninstalled an anti-virus program, but that
    Security Center still reports it as being installed.

    Try, using Windows Defender, turning off "Use real-time protection", i.e.,
    uncheck the box. (Click on the Save button). Then go to Security Center
    (where it should now be telling the truth about Malware Protection), and
    turning it on from there. If it gives the green-light status, go back to
    Windows Defender to see if the box for "Use real-time protection" is really
    checked, as it should be.

    I'm beginning to wonder if my Security Center is working right, since I'm
    not getting a scan when I turn on Malware Protection, after having turned it
    off with WD. However, the status always shows the correct information.

    dean-dean, Mar 23, 2007
  8. Good idea, but I'd suggest a variation: The very last checkbox in the
    options list, I believe, is something like "use Windows Defender" That's
    the one I would uncheck.

    And I might actually do a restart before checking it again.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Mar 23, 2007

    I turned off the "use real time protection" and I turned off "use Windows
    Defender," Saved and restarted.

    The system told me that Defender was turned off. I went to Security Center
    & clicked "turn on now" for Defender. Again the Security Center "searched
    for "Security Center can't update definitions for Windows Defender" and will
    not turn on the Malware protection.

    I looked at the WD Tools/Options and both "real time" and "use WD" boxes
    were checked.

    I'll try this whole routine again. If you don't hear from me, you will know
    that I got the same results & that I still have the original problems.

    Thanks for your help!

    Guest, Mar 24, 2007

    I couldn't stand it. Tried it all again and got the same (read NO) results.
    Aaaughhh.

    Guest, Mar 24, 2007

    dean-dean Guest

    Is System Restore an option? Your original post said that things were okay
    in the not too distant past. Can you choose a Restore Point just prior to
    the problem? The problem seems to reside in Security Center mis-reporting
    things, and not particularly Windows Defender itself. I'm assuming WD is
    working (manual scans, real time protection, etc.). Not much consolation, I
    know. You can also turn off the Security Center nag notifications, but that
    won't resolve the basic problem, of course.

    dean-dean, Mar 24, 2007

    "Vista is driving me nuts!" wrote:

    > After reading a whole lot of these posts, I have turned WU on and off,
    > updated my WD definitions from within and without, but since a couple days
    > ago (seems like forever) I cannot get Windows Security to turn on the Malware
    > protection or find any virus protection. Purchased this !*@ computer 1/31,
    > with Vista and WD installed.
    >
    > When I click the button to turn on Malware, it looks for new definitions,
    > finds none, and won't turn on.
    > Current:
    > WD Verions 1.1.155.0
    > Engine 1.1.2306.0
    > Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)
    >
    > I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would be
    > welcome.

    I too share the same problem, WD is reported as turned OFF although its ON
    and active. I tried all the kind suggestions in this thread to no avail.
    Worse, even my AVAST anti-virus is reported as OFF when in fact it is ON and
    active.

    Were you able to resolve this problem?

    Guest, Mar 28, 2007

    Please check, under Administrative Tools, the Services and see if your
    Windows Defender is set to Automatic and Started (if you don't use WLOC).
    Restart.
    Efrain

    Guest, Mar 28, 2007

    Posted to show there are others with this problem.

    I too cannot enable Windows Defender on my PC, it trys, scans for updates,
    tells me no updates are to be found and is not enabled. I waited until new
    defs were available and let the process run, the update occurred successfully
    but Windows Defender was not started/set on.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2007

    Dave M Guest

    Matt and others...

    Don't let Vista drive you nuts.

    This post from "tflink" in regard to WLOC but it should apply to Standalone
    Windows Defender as well:

    "I am running 32-bit Vista with Windows OneCare. After installing OneCare,
    the Security Center alerted me that I did not have a firewall, virus or
    spyware program running. It was obvious that I did. So, why did the
    Security Center not recognize OneCare? Quick Answer... the WMI repository
    was corrupt.
    How did I fix it.

    Run a cmd prompt as adiminstrator.

    type the following command: winmgmt /verifyrepository

    if the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent"

    run this command: winmgmt /salvagerepository

    The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
    the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
    services to shut down. Run the command again. I actually ran it 3 times
    before it finally ran and completed on its own.

    Reboot your system.

    Hope this helps someone."

    So let us know if this helps you with your Vista problem with Defender...

    --

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Apr 6, 2007

    Dave

    I had the same problem and your fix worked a treat, many thanks

    John

    Guest, Apr 12, 2007

    Dave M Guest

    Thanks for the feedback, John.

    Good to hear that this fix for Vista worked. I don't think those specific
    switches are available in XP or Server 2003, but most of these WMI
    repository errors that confuse Security Center seem to be happening on
    Vista (quite often) and this technique seems to be pretty gentle for that
    system. Here's the command documentation:

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Apr 12, 2007

    muzza

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    not very good with computers

    trying to use the command above, but must be doing something wrong

    first time i've tried to do something this techy

    this is want i'm typing in:

    C:\Users\Steven<command>winmgmt /verifyrepository

    i get the following message:

    The system cannot find the file specifed.

    i have very little idea what i'm doing, so if someone could give me an idiot's guide, i'd be grateful

    vista security thing is really annoying me: says my anitvirus and antispy aren't turned on

    cheers

    muzza, Sep 25, 2007

    Another Auld Git

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Found a simple solution from another forum geek which does work.

    Go to;

    Start
    All Programmes
    Accessories
    Right Click on Command Prompt
    Click on Run as Administrator
    Box appears and type in winmgmt/salvagerepository
    Enter
    Box appears again and type in exit
    Enter

    Restart the 'puter and hopefully the security centre will show all monitoring is working.

    Good Luck

    Another Auld Git, Feb 28, 2009