HP Pavillion 4200+, WinXP,all works except it does not detect 2 DVD Read/Write drives

• Thread starter Comcast Newsgroups
  • Start date
C

Comcast Newsgroups

I have an HP Pavilion a1610n, AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+ 2.2 GHZ CPU. 3 GB RAM, Windows XP Media edition and 2 DVD read/write disks. 1 is Philips SPD2413P, the other HL-DT DVDRRW GSA-H20L.

Both of the above worked fine until yesterday.

I do not recall installing any new software, but this PM (when I first turned on the Desktop) I could not see the DVD drives under EXPLORE.

Yet the Device Manger shows both drives, but now with an exclamation mark thru it.

Windows XP does not see the DVD drives upon startup. It says in Device Manager under driver that the driver may be corrupt. Windows cannot find another driver. HP does not have a driver, since the drive depends upon WIN XP to provide the driver.

HP does not provide WINXP CD's, but rather their own RESTORE CD's. I do not want to start up totally from the beginning, because RESTORE would Format my drive and I would loose everything.

I do have some other OEM WINXP CD's. Can I use them to REPAIR ?

What do you good people suggest?

Thanks in advance

B

B Crawford

Yes, those damn restore CD's -what a rip off.
I think the first thing to try is , without using the CD Rom go into Windows & see about doing a restore to an earlier date -say a week or so ago. That may fix the problem.
Also you could try removing , & reinstalling the drives. Finally yes you can try a repair from the full Win XP Cd's. I did this in a similar situation about 2 years ago & I was able to work around the problem but alas the memory grows a bit dim . I do recall that it wasn't straight forward.
BC

I have an HP Pavilion a1610n, AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+ 2.2 GHZ CPU. 3 GB RAM, Windows XP Media edition and 2 DVD read/write disks. 1 is Philips SPD2413P, the other HL-DT DVDRRW GSA-H20L.

I do not recall installing any new software, but this PM (when I first turned on the Desktop) I could not see the DVD drives under EXPLORE.

Yet the Device Manger shows both drives, but now with an exclamation mark thru it.

Windows XP does not see the DVD drives upon startup. It says in Device Manager under driver that the driver may be corrupt. Windows cannot find another driver. HP does not have a driver, since the drive depends upon WIN XP to provide the driver.

HP does not provide WINXP CD's, but rather their own RESTORE CD's. I do not want to start up totally from the beginning, because RESTORE would Format my drive and I would loose everything.

Thanks in advance

L

Lord Turkey Cough

I somehow doubt it is the drivers, dunno why, the chances of *just*the drivers
being corrupt must be something like 100,000,000-1 (approx) :O)

Anyhow are ther not lots of site which provide drivers?

I would check your cable to the drives for a start, can u stick one
on another cable?

Yes, those damn restore CD's -what a rip off.
I think the first thing to try is , without using the CD Rom go into Windows & see about doing a restore to an earlier date -say a week or so ago. That may fix the problem.
Also you could try removing , & reinstalling the drives. Finally yes you can try a repair from the full Win XP Cd's. I did this in a similar situation about 2 years ago & I was able to work around the problem but alas the memory grows a bit dim . I do recall that it wasn't straight forward.
BC

Thanks in advance

Ask a Question