HP A3311A/12A arrays- SE & DF: SCSI disks

Majki Majk

I have an issue relating SE disks,,,have a bunch of cables but the all
three arrays working fine with a bunch of DF disks individuall<. When
putting SE disks into array, any of them, than the Scsi controller
doesn't recognize the disks...in manual there is a difference between SE
terminator and DF terminator, i only have DF terminators, could that
point me to a right direction? I assume i'll have to get a SE terminator
!? What with the cables, i have about 25meters of them...don't have a
clue do they make a difference, but all of them have same connectors,
68pin connectors....

Thanks for leading me through this, i couldn't imagine a better
playground than old scsi arrays, what a happy fellow am I, ;)

Majki Majk

Majki said:
I have an issue relating SE disks,,,have a bunch of cables but the all
three arrays working fine with a bunch of DF disks individuall<. When
putting SE disks into array, any of them, than the Scsi controller
doesn't recognize the disks...in manual there is a difference between SE
terminator and DF terminator, i only have DF terminators, could that
point me to a right direction? I assume i'll have to get a SE terminator
!? What with the cables, i have about 25meters of them...don't have a
clue do they make a difference, but all of them have same connectors,
68pin connectors....

Thanks for leading me through this, i couldn't imagine a better
playground than old scsi arrays, what a happy fellow am I, ;)

I have got the note that all three arrays were interconnected
alltogether on computer. It would be logically due to the pair number of
cabels and terminators. I have two same arrays and one different, i.e.
one A3311A and two of 12A. Have 2 pair cabels 68pin, 1 short for
connecting host buses(A,B), 1 68pin for connecting 12A to a computer
controller. 5terminators(suppose DF from the pictures).

Need a perfect combination for DF/SE disks ...

Squeeze

Majki Majk wrote in news:[email protected]
I have got the note that all three arrays were interconnected
alltogether on computer. It would be logically due to the pair number of
cabels and terminators. I have two same arrays and one different, i.e.
one A3311A and two of 12A. Have 2 pair cabels 68pin, 1 short for
connecting host buses(A,B), 1 68pin for connecting 12A to a computer
controller. 5terminators(suppose DF from the pictures).

Need a perfect combination for DF/SE disks ...

DF disks and controllers (High Voltage Differential) and SE disks and controllers (standard single ended SCSI) are mutually
incompatible,
which is clearly described in the manual.
Maybe you should read it rather than just look at the pictures?

Majki Majk

Squeeze said:
Majki Majk wrote in news:[email protected]

DF disks and controllers (High Voltage Differential) and SE disks and controllers (standard single ended SCSI) are mutually
incompatible,
which is clearly described in the manual.
Maybe you should read it rather than just look at the pictures?

Yeah, but the Guy which was using it, said to me that they worked as a
whole DF and SE. I was suspicious, because i got five DF terminators,
none SE terminator. I cocluded that it would need to work, if SE is only
in one array attached to another array, let's say from third(SE)
connected to second(DF)and then to first(DF).

Thanks.

Squeeze

Majki Majk wrote in news:[email protected]
Yeah, but the Guy which was using it, said to me that they worked as a
whole DF and SE.

Only if his machine had a LVD or SE controller too.
I was suspicious, because i got five DF terminators, none SE terminator.

So you will have to supply your own then. And a SE or LVD controller too.
I cocluded that it would need to work, if SE is only in one array attached
to another array, let's say from third(SE) connected to second(DF) and
then to first(DF).

What part of
DF disks ->and<- controllers (High Voltage Differential) ->and<- SE disks
->and<- controllers (standard single ended SCSI) are mutually incompatible,
did you not get?

Mixing any makes a non-working combination with even a possibility of destruction.