    resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
    models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?

    Thanks

    Inkjet, May 21, 2006

  2. Inkjet

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "Inkjet" <> wrote in message
    news:I4Obg.318$zg5.212@trndny04...
    > I was able to find solutions for resetting the cartridge and/or
    > printer for several other HP cartridge models but not the #98. Is
    > there a way to reset it?

    No.

    - Bob Headrick

    Bob Headrick, May 21, 2006

  3. Inkjet

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, May 21, 2006
  4. Inkjet

    measekite Guest

    Inkjet wrote:

    > I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
    > HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
    > fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
    > for the black ink.

    this is another example on why one should always use oem ink.

    measekite, May 21, 2006
  5. Inkjet

    Bill Guest

    Inkjet wrote:

    >I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
    >HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
    >fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
    >for the black ink. I did some research and found this to be a common
    >problem with many HP cartridges. I was able to find solutions for
    >resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
    >models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?

    Unfortunately no...HP changed the way ink levels are stored. Earlier
    models like the HP 56/57/58 carts could be reset by rotating three carts
    through the printer since they could only remember two at a time. You
    could also use tape over the contacts to reset the levels.

    The newer carts like the 95/96/97 retains the ink level inside a chip in
    the cartridge and there is no known way to reset it. You just have to
    ignore the low ink warnings and remember to refill before it runs dry.
    It will still work fine, you just won't have proper ink level readings.

    Bill, May 21, 2006
  6. Inkjet

    Inkjet Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Inkjet wrote:
    >

    >>I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
    >>HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
    >>fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
    >>for the black ink. I did some research and found this to be a common
    >>problem with many HP cartridges. I was able to find solutions for
    >>resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
    >>models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?

    > Unfortunately no...HP changed the way ink levels are stored. Earlier
    > models like the HP 56/57/58 carts could be reset by rotating three carts
    > through the printer since they could only remember two at a time. You
    > could also use tape over the contacts to reset the levels.
    >
    > The newer carts like the 95/96/97 retains the ink level inside a chip in
    > the cartridge and there is no known way to reset it. You just have to
    > ignore the low ink warnings and remember to refill before it runs dry.
    > It will still work fine, you just won't have proper ink level readings.

    Maybe someone will come out with an HP chip resetter like the Epson
    cartridges. Do the HP 90-series cartridges expire at some date and stop
    working regardless of their ink level?

    Inkjet, May 21, 2006
  7. Inkjet

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "Inkjet" <> wrote in message
    > Do the HP 90-series cartridges expire at some date and stop working
    > regardless of their ink level?

    No. That said, it is possible that cartridges stored (or used) for a
    long time may eventually fail. There is no concept of date built into
    these cartridges.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Bob Headrick, May 22, 2006
  8. Inkjet

    measekite Guest

    Bill wrote:

    >Inkjet wrote:
    >

    >>I recently refilled the HP #98 (C9364W) black ink cartridge for my
    >>HP-2575 printer. This was the first time it's been refilled. It prints
    >>fine now but the on-screen ink level estimator graphic no longer works
    >>for the black ink. I did some research and found this to be a common
    >>problem with many HP cartridges. I was able to find solutions for
    >>resetting the cartridge and/or printer for several other HP cartridge
    >>models but not the #98. Is there a way to reset it?
    >>

    >Unfortunately no...HP changed the way ink levels are stored. Earlier
    >models like the HP 56/57/58 carts could be reset by rotating three carts
    >through the printer since they could only remember two at a time. You
    >could also use tape over the contacts to reset the levels.
    >
    >The newer carts like the 95/96/97 retains the ink level inside a chip in
    >the cartridge and there is no known way to reset it.

    that is good

    measekite, May 22, 2006
  9. Inkjet

    Guest

    I am very cranked at my newly purchased HP printer because, unlike the
    older one (no longer on the market), this one uses the HP 90-series
    cartridges, which are deliberately designed to frustrate refilling.

    To add insult to injury, the retail price of the genuine HP cartridge
    has risen by about $9 in six months! This makes them very expensive
    for me.

    Apparently the cartridge can be reloaded with (non-HP) ink, but the ink
    level indicator - including the low ink warning - won't work because
    the microchip in the cartridges rachets downward and won't (unliker
    earlier HP cartridges) reset for refilling. But I have had mixed
    results with attempts to refill; sometimes the refilled cart simply
    won't print even if it's soaked in ink - I suspect (but some other had
    denied) that the microchip in the cartridge not only rachets downward
    but when it says the cartridge is empty the printer either something
    inside the cartridge shuts off the flow or the printer won't even try
    to suck the ink out of the cartridge.

    I recently had a tech problem (unrelated to ink cartridges) with my HP
    printer and e-mailed the HP service .... and got conflicting and,
    worse, utterly unhelpful responses. Well, at least they responded.

    I recently sent off for a half-dozen "refurbished" cartridges,
    something I haven't done before. I don't know if, or how well, they'll
    work. If they don't satisfy, I might make a point of getting a
    different brand of printer - one more congenial to ink refills (people
    have recommended Canon for that purpose).

    , Jun 14, 2006
  10. Inkjet

    Bob Headrick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am very cranked at my newly purchased HP printer because, unlike the
    > older one (no longer on the market), this one uses the HP 90-series
    > cartridges, which are deliberately designed to frustrate refilling.

    Not true.

    > Apparently the cartridge can be reloaded with (non-HP) ink, but the
    > ink
    > level indicator - including the low ink warning - won't work because
    > the microchip in the cartridges rachets downward and won't (unliker
    > earlier HP cartridges) reset for refilling.

    True.

    > But I have had mixed results with attempts to refill; sometimes
    > the refilled cart simply won't print even if it's soaked in
    > ink - I suspect (but some other had denied) that the microchip
    > in the cartridge not only rachets downward but when it says
    > the cartridge is empty the printer either something inside
    > the cartridge shuts off the flow or the printer won't even try
    > to suck the ink out of the cartridge.

    Not true.

    > I recently sent off for a half-dozen "refurbished" cartridges,
    > something I haven't done before. I don't know if, or how well,
    > they'll
    > work. If they don't satisfy, I might make a point of getting a
    > different brand of printer - one more congenial to ink refills (people
    > have recommended Canon for that purpose).

    I do not know how well they will work, but it is likely that they will
    show up as empty on the low-on-ink gauge. There is no reset.

    Bob Headrick, Jun 14, 2006
  11. Inkjet

    Ian Guest

    I bought HP 96 refilled cartridges for my HP 5940 and they work great.
    The printer recognized them as new.

    Keep up the great work HP!!!!

    Ian, Jun 14, 2006