How to Switch a NIC from Hybrid to Broadcast?

T

tvc

Hi All,

I have a Win2K PC with an Intel PRO/1000MT NIC on a Ethernet TCP/IP & NetBEUI network.

Though, I'm able to browse the network and ping other PCs from this node, I can not ping the PC. The PC is otherwise visible to other nodes.

I just discovered that the PC's Node Type is set to Hybrid instead Broadcast and was wondering if this is preventing it from responding to pings. So, I've been attempting to switch its Node Type to Broadcast, but unsuccessfully. Tried uninstalling NIC, afterwhich Node Type becomes Broadcast, but as soon as its reinstalling it switches back to Hybrid.

Most recent drivers and Intel ProSet II app were downloaded and installed, but I still can not switch Node Type to Broadcast.

It's probably something simple, but it eludes me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

D

Doug Sherman [MVP]

On a machine with a statically configured IP address, you change the node type by editing the registry. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160177&Product=win2000

Not sure whether you are unable to ping the PC from itself or from other machines. If you are running NetBIOS over TCP/IP, there is generally no reason to run NetBEUI as well and there are good reasons not to.

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
Hi All,

I have a Win2K PC with an Intel PRO/1000MT NIC on a Ethernet TCP/IP & NetBEUI network.

Though, I'm able to browse the network and ping other PCs from this node, I can not ping the PC. The PC is otherwise visible to other nodes.

I just discovered that the PC's Node Type is set to Hybrid instead Broadcast and was wondering if this is preventing it from responding to pings. So, I've been attempting to switch its Node Type to Broadcast, but unsuccessfully. Tried uninstalling NIC, afterwhich Node Type becomes Broadcast, but as soon as its reinstalling it switches back to Hybrid.

Most recent drivers and Intel ProSet II app were downloaded and installed, but I still can not switch Node Type to Broadcast.

It's probably something simple, but it eludes me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

Ask a Question