How to stop Windows Installer from running at startup

E

EagleOne

XP Pro Up to date

How to stop Windows Installer from running at startup.

I have had this problem for months. Yes, I have downloaded "Window Install Cleaner" but that does
not solve the problem. The Install Cleaner just lists the installed programs and one can delete any
one of them. The question still stands, as I cannot tell which one is the offending failed install.

What occurs is that the Windows Installer starts and the "box" appears but nothing happens until it
goes away at the end of the booting process.

My guess is that I need to modify the Registry but I do not have a clue where.

I have asked this question at least four times in the last six months and the only answer I get is
get "Window Install Cleaner" but it has no focused-process to ID and disable the offending install.

What aspect of the Cleaner am I missing? I do not want to delete all the installations as I would
have to re-install them back - like squashing a mosquito with a 20 ton hammer-press.

TIA EagleOne

D

DL

The cleanup utility doesnt uninstall the programs, it removes the installer
entries.
Try enableing boot logging in the safe mode screen, see if the log gives a
clue
I would suspect also its a program that set to start on boot.

E

EagleOne

1) There is a warning on the only screen for the "Cleaner" which states that one may have to
reinstall?? Then what capability is "lost" when the installer entries are removed?

2) Would it be your guess that removing all installer entries would solve the problem anyway?

3) I also believe that it may be a Startup "item." is there a way to temporarily remove an item
from the startup routine? I have a vague remembrance of a Start > Run > utility?? to
enable/disable items. Thoughts?

TIA

S

smlunatick

1) There is a warning on the only screen for the "Cleaner" which states that one may have to
reinstall??  Then what capability is "lost" when the installer entries are removed?

2) Would it be your guess that removing all installer entries would solvethe problem anyway?

3) I also believe that it may be a Startup "item."  is there a way to temporarily remove an item
from the startup routine?  I have a vague remembrance of a Start > Run  > utility?? to
enable/disable items.  Thoughts?

TIA

1) Remove the "installer" entry may not let you have the standard
entry in Add/Remove Program that would let you change/remove/repair
the software "set up."

2) Unknown ???? -- Without knowing your "installer" database lists, I
could not say of the clean up would work

3) Start --> Run --> MSCONFIG

Ask a Question