Windows XP how to permenately delete a file

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
hi is there any way to permenately delete a file so you cant use a recovery program to recover it. I want the file/files basically inaccesible and deleted forever without worrying that they can be recovered

thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I won't ask why, but holding SHIFT+Delete will delete without sending to the recycly bin, and then defragging your hard drive will rearrange bits so that its unlikely to be recovered. If you want to be 100% sure, take your hard drive out and smash it to 100,000 bits ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
is there any way to permenately delete a file so you cant use a recovery program to recover it
Smash the HD in to a million bits ... even the FBI would get bored trying to fit it back together. :thumb:

Real answer ... NO! you can't ... but HD manufactures can wipe the platters for you ... cost you a shed load of ££s mind.

You can find "tools" on the Net that write zero's to the first sectore making it very hard for "joe Blogs" to recover your data ... a good pro could still do it. ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the only way is to overite the file a load of times use huge magnet or as already suggested give it a good hit with a big hammer

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Is this just in case Chelsea lose to Sunderland away today !!! you want the score forever erased from historys record books and your PC .?
Its currently 1-1 at half time ..if they lose then that would be bad (lol);)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 was right about the magnet. You can get large industrial magnets used for testing welds. Wave that around your HDD a few times and it will scramble everything.

There is also a device used for bulk erasing VHS cassettes, it's basically a metal platform where you place about ten video cassettes, hit the button and it produces a strong magnetic field to erase everything. Or more accurately, rearrange the tape particles.

If you put a hard disk on one of those and switched it on for a minute or two, you'd be hard pressed to make anything out of all those 0's and 1's.

Deleting a single file and leaving an operating system intact would not guarantee permanent erasure.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I won't ask why, but holding SHIFT+Delete will delete without sending to the recycly bin, and then defragging your hard drive will rearrange bits so that its unlikely to be recovered. If you want to be 100% sure, take your hard drive out and smash it to 100,000 bits ;)

i heard that even burning a harddrive doesnt erase the content!
i read that in pcformat once!

Ask a Question