how to move top of window up off the screen

Albert Oppenheimer

If I select "move" from the system menu and then poke the up-arrow, I can
move the top of a window up off the screen, hiding as much of the window as
I want to hide. But at that point, I am still in "move" mode, and anything
I do, like a mouse click or the Esc key, pops the window back down so that
all of it is visible except the upper half of the title bar.

Is there a way to move the top of a window up off the screen and get it to
stay there?

Thanks,
Allie

Albert Oppenheimer

So what you're saying is, you don't know of a way to do it.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It's protecting you from yourself. Some programs make assumptions and crash
with wierd numbers. Not to mention most people whinge and say My Program is
off screen.

See attached file.

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Albert

The guys who wrote the code for Windows never envisaged anybody deliberately
wanting to do this.. why do you want to do it?..

Unk

If I select "move" from the system menu and then poke the up-arrow, I can
move the top of a window up off the screen, hiding as much of the window as
I want to hide. But at that point, I am still in "move" mode, and anything
I do, like a mouse click or the Esc key, pops the window back down so that
all of it is visible except the upper half of the title bar.

Is there a way to move the top of a window up off the screen and get it to
stay there?

Thanks,
Allie
Press alt-spacebar, select "Move". Use the arrow cluster to move the window around. When you
have it where you want it, press "Enter". Any other key will cause it to bounce back where it
was. About the only times this comes in handy is when you have the screen resolution wrong and
you can't access the "Apply" or "OK" buttons.

Jim Hill

Mike said:
The guys who wrote the code for Windows never envisaged anybody deliberately
wanting to do this.. why do you want to do it?..

I've seen something very like that done on Macs a long time ago --
dragging the frame at least used to drag rather than resize the window.
It can be much easier to just poot it off the top and then use muscle
memory to refetch it than to minimize it and then poke through the
haystack on the taskbar.

Anyway, Albert, if you're still reading and that's what you were after:
1, use return not esc to leave the window where you've pushed it; and 2,
you can use the side or bottom of the screen as you wanted to use the
top. I know there's something ... I don't know the word ... resonant?
There's just something *right* about temporarily shoving a window *up*
out of the way while you ... I think that's it. It's like lifting the
lid on a cooler or something. Somehow it's got that hinged-lid metaphor
working for it, it just *feels* like it'll be easy to drop back into
place. No, I'm serious!

Not that it matters. Time for more important and less pleasing
attention to detail. :-C

Jim