    some advice?

    Thanks in advance
    Ralf

    Dr. Ralf Schulz, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Dr. Ralf Schulz

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Dr. Ralf Schulz bashed at the keyboard and said:
    > Hi,
    >
    > in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like
    > many others. I would like to move this file to the temporary
    > Directory to avoid backing up with some external tools I use.
    > Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send
    > me some advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Ralf

    Hi Ralf,

    During hibernation, all devices are powered off, and the system's physical
    memory is written to disk in the system hibernation file, \Hiberfil.sys.

    You'll need to turn off the "Enable Hibernate" by going to:

    Start->Settings->Control Panel->Power Options and then select the
    "Hibernate" Tab and De-Select the "Enable Hibernation" check box.

    After you do this WinXP will delete the hiberfil.sys file next time you
    re-boot.

    HTH
    --
    McPloppy ©

    { Remove both MyShoes to email me }
    { Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
    { Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
    { My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

    Mcploppy ©, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Dr. Ralf Schulz

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi Ralf

    The hiberfil.sys file is used for Hibernation. If you don't use the Hibernation option that file can be deleted by going to:

    Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate tab. Uncheck 'Enable Hibernation' and the file will automatically be deleted.

    If you would rather move it - you will still have to uncheck 'Enable Hibernation'.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Dr. Ralf Schulz" <> wrote in message news:4006fbd7$0$7771$-online.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
    > others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
    > backing up with some external tools I use.
    > Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
    > some advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Ralf

    ---

    Will Denny, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Will.

    I believe that hiberfil.sys MUST be in the root of the drive where Windows
    is installed. It is not moveable. Correct me if I am wrong here! You can
    stop using it, but if you do want to use it, it must be in it's present
    location.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

    "Will Denny" <> wrote in message
    Hi Ralf

    The hiberfil.sys file is used for Hibernation. If you don't use the
    Hibernation option that file can be deleted by going to:

    Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate tab. Uncheck 'Enable Hibernation' and
    the file will automatically be deleted.

    If you would rather move it - you will still have to uncheck 'Enable
    Hibernation'.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Dr. Ralf Schulz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
    > others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
    > backing up with some external tools I use.
    > Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
    > some advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Ralf

    ---

    Richard Urban, Jan 15, 2004
  5. You can use it or not use it, that's your options - it can't be moved, it
    must be in the root of the "system" drive/partition (where the PC boots
    from).

    Star Fleet Admiral Q, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Dr. Ralf Schulz

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    Yes, that's correct. I've just re-checked - hiberfil.sys can't be moved. If Hibernation is disabled, then hiberfil.sys is automatically deleted when either 'Apply' or 'OK' is clicked on.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Richard Urban" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Will.
    >
    > I believe that hiberfil.sys MUST be in the root of the drive where Windows
    > is installed. It is not moveable. Correct me if I am wrong here! You can
    > stop using it, but if you do want to use it, it must be in it's present
    > location.
    >
    > --
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
    >
    > "Will Denny" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Ralf
    >
    > The hiberfil.sys file is used for Hibernation. If you don't use the
    > Hibernation option that file can be deleted by going to:
    >
    > Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate tab. Uncheck 'Enable Hibernation' and
    > the file will automatically be deleted.
    >
    > If you would rather move it - you will still have to uncheck 'Enable
    > Hibernation'.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >

    > "Dr. Ralf Schulz" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
    > > others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
    > > backing up with some external tools I use.
    > > Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
    > > some advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Ralf
    > >

    > ---

    ---

    Will Denny, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Thanks for your advice.
    What a pity! I can't understand, why the swapping device can be moved to
    another drive, but not the hiberfil.sys.
    I consider this a bug.

    Dr. Ralf Schulz, Jan 17, 2004
  8. Consider it as you will. There are definite reasons for its being where it
    is, when called for.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

    Richard Urban, Jan 18, 2004
  9. Dr. Ralf Schulz

    Fred Doolie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > What a pity! I can't understand, why the swapping device can be moved to
    > another drive, but not the hiberfil.sys.
    > I consider this a bug.

    The swap file isn't needed for booting. It's accessed after Windows is running so the system has time for look for it if it's needed.

    The hiberfile is part of the boot sequence and accessed while Windows is waking up and hasn't got it's brains together yet. The file has to be in an exact known place where Windows expects it to be.

    That said, perhaps the OS could be patched to look somewhere else.

    Fred Doolie, Apr 18, 2010