how to manually uninstall a soft ware that windows cant open the uninstall logl

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Guest, Nov 23, 2003.

    Guest, Nov 23, 2003

    Ray at Guest

    This are is used for the subject of your message. The large white (probably) box below this is where you type your message.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Nov 23, 2003

    Ozgirl Guest

    Re: This are is used for the subject of your message. The large white (probably) box below this is where you type your message.

    Lol

    Ozgirl, Nov 23, 2003

    Rick Guest

    If you still have access to the software, simply reinstall it, and then
    uninstall it using the program's uninstall routine or via Add/Remove
    Programs.

    If you don't have access to the software, there's not much you can
    do other than manually editing the registry, searching for the name
    of the program (or company who made it) and trying to figure out
    which entries to remove and which to keep. This can often be
    tricky so make sure you have a full system backup before
    proceeding.

    It would also help if you told us which software you're talking
    about. Some programs when they're installed make far more
    registry changes than others.

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 23, 2003

    Evi Guest

    I used a freeware program called Registry cleaner (not MS's RegClean!) for
    this with my Win98 PC and I see that the latest version works with Win2000.
    I suspect it could be very useful for those many programs which I've
    installed and, in spite of warnings about not having installed, are actually
    working fine. But I bet the uninstaller won't work when I want to get rid of
    them.

    http://www.pcmedixwebs.com/regclean.htm

    With some programs, my only choice was to delete the program's files from my
    hard drive and then use reg cleaner to get rid of the registry entries and
    orphaned dlls.

    As it says on the page above though, always back up your registry first.

    BTW there are some programs which get so wound into the PC's system that a
    simple solution like the above would not work so as Rick says, tell us what
    it is.
    Evi

    Evi, Nov 23, 2003