    Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
    through the Internet?

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Dec 17, 2011

  2. John Doe

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
    > through the Internet?

    Which Windows?

    My XPs have an NTP/internet function.

    These screenshots show it http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

    That article suggests that it doesn't always work and also suggests
    automachron http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

    On Win98se I used to use a little app I got from NIST which has
    information on the subject http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm
    Set your computer clock via the Internet
    using tools built into the operating system

    It is also informative to just wander around the NIST site.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2011

  3. On 12/17/2011 1:25 PM, John Doe wrote:
    > Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
    > through the Internet?

    You can do that through the clock itself. Click clock on taskbar, link
    at bottom, internet tab...

    If your PC won't keep time, you might need to replace the CMOS battery.

    ToolPackinMama, Dec 17, 2011
  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Not to take anything away from any current or future reply, but...
    Instead of messing with the Windows utility like my subject line
    suggests, I might try using a simple utility like DS Clock or
    whatever.

    John Doe, Dec 17, 2011
  5. John Doe

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$> someone
    claiming to be John Doe <> typed:

    >Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
    >through the Internet?

    Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
    automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
    talking about.

    --
    It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
    steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

    DevilsPGD, Dec 17, 2011
  6. John Doe

    Mike Easter Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    > John Doe
    >
    >> Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
    >> through the Internet?

    > Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
    > automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
    > talking about.

    Since the NTP time is expressed in the number of seconds and fractional
    seconds since a specific date, its conversion to UTC results in a
    fractional seconds and a calendar date as well. And leap seconds when
    appropriate.

    The local problems of dealing with one's timezone and its time/date as
    well as daylight time adjustments are left to the individual.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2011
  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net> wrote:

    > In message <4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$88b277c5 news.astraweb.com>
    > someone claiming to be John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> typed:
    >
    >>Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar,
    >>like through the Internet?

    > Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
    > automatically already,

    Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of shit clock and
    calendar utility.

    > and I'm not really sure what calendar you're talking about.

    You might not be old enough to remember Windows XP, but it does
    have a clock and calendar. If you are playing semantics, in fact
    Windows XP Date and Time Properties fits the definition of
    "calendar".

    John Doe, Dec 17, 2011
  8. John Doe

    Mike Easter Guest

    xposting deleted, to achp-h only

    John Doe wrote:

    > Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of shit clock and
    > calendar utility.

    To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP date/time
    worked for NTP, not that you were dissatisfied with it.

    > Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
    > through the Internet?

    The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of Windows
    you are using and what NTP agent functions you are already familiar.

    What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One of the
    places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was some problem
    with it.

    "Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
    temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

    But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
    some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2011
  9. John Doe

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:

    > "Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
    > temperemental (sic) and does not always work."
    >
    > But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
    > some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

    NIST also has a page that talks about firewall interference with good
    NTP function http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/firewall.cfm There
    are a number of points to consider if you have any type of firewall and
    are planning to use it with the NIST Internet Time service.

    They also have a recently updated page full of software providers for
    NTP http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/softwarelist.cfm Publishers of
    Time and Frequency Software

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2011
  10. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Mike Easter <MikeE ster.invalid> wrote:

    > xposting deleted, to achp-h only
    >
    > John Doe wrote:
    >
    >> Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of shit clock
    >> and calendar utility.

    > To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP
    > date/time worked for NTP,

    Looks like you don't know how to write. Spell out acronyms the
    first time you use them.

    > not that you were dissatisfied with it.

    I have always been dissatisfied with POS Microsoft utilities.
    Microsoft's acquisition of Systernals is bewildering. Hopefully
    Systernals influence is showing up in post-Windows XP. More likely
    Microsoft will just crush them, intentionally or not.

    >> Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and
    >> calendar, like through the Internet?

    > The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of
    > Windows you are using and what NTP agent functions you are
    > already familiar.

    That is obscure.

    Being a regular here, you should know that I run circles around
    other Windows users. Otherwise, if you are addressing the average
    reader, you need to write much more clearly.

    Your obscure "NTP agent functions" should have nothing to do with
    keeping correct time in Windows, given the correct time zone. If a
    user accidentally clicks on one of the dates on Microsoft's POS
    Date and Time Properties calendar, Microsoft's hideous logic
    assumes that he is changing the date of the calendar. WHAT IDIOT
    ON EARTH WANTS TO EASILY CHANGE THE DATE ON HIS CALENDAR TO
    SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE ACTUAL DATE??? A troll might, Mikey, but
    nobody else does. And then there's the fact that Microsoft's
    calendar is otherwise useless. And yeah I know, a user can get his
    own. Poor Microsoft, it might take a little programming to provide
    a useful calendar function and a clock that keeps accurate time.
    Poor poor Microsoft.

    > What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One
    > of the places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was
    > some problem with it.
    >
    > "Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system
    > is temperemental (sic) and does not always work."
    >
    > But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST,

    Speech recognition would allow you to spell out acronyms without
    much effort, assuming you can speak well enough.

    John Doe, Dec 17, 2011
  11. On 17 Dec 2011 18:25:35 GMT, John Doe <> wrote:

    >Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
    >through the Internet?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Windows.

    It already has the ability built in.

    Loren Pechtel, Dec 17, 2011
  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Loren Pechtel <> wrote:

    > John Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar,
    >>like through the Internet?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > Windows.
    >
    > It already has the ability built in.

    Like what...

    John Doe, Dec 17, 2011
  13. John Doe

    Nil Guest

    On 17 Dec 2011, John Doe <> wrote in
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

    > Like what...

    Wow, look at you "running circles other Windows users" again. I'm
    impressed all over again!

    Nil, Dec 17, 2011
  14. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

    > John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

    >> Like what...

    > Wow, look at you "running circles other Windows users" again.

    I use speech for writing and automating Windows. I can do stuff in
    half the time it takes you. I spent a decade playing with Windows
    settings. If I wanted to explain how to do something, I would
    provide a path. That's what we do in this technical help group.

    > I'm impressed all over again!

    That's what your mother says every time I whip it out...

    --

    nntp.club.cc.cmu.edu!feeder.erje.net!news2.arglkargh.de!
    news.karotte.org!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-
    mail
    > From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    > Subject: Re: How to keep Windows clock accurate?
    > Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:41:22 -0500

    <de4qe7tq9933h5o9ckql7k8vq5ndjkq45r 4ax.com> <4eed1617$0$2326
    $c3e8da3$460562f1 news.astraweb.com>

    dsVtgX5S4Z6g5na4tzWsyQm351eXgE0qLSHJj3BmFqCzkZKiLD

    \IuTO++qOqVx0&Y.=z(B!:d?HNxL}yTuIS^5T8W\iGv_s'oSFfLp%X|naUNr

    John Doe, Dec 17, 2011
  15. John Doe

    Astropher Guest

    On 2011-12-18 08:23:37 +1100, John Doe said:

    > Being a regular here, you should know that I run circles around
    > other Windows users. Otherwise, if you are addressing the average
    > reader, you need to write much more clearly.

    My dog runs circles around lots of things all the time. In fact it is
    sometimes pretty difficult to stop him running circles once he gets
    into a running circles around stuff mood. Sadly, that doesn't stop him
    from being as dumb as a dog shit.

    Astropher, Dec 17, 2011
  16. John Doe

    Nil Guest

    On 17 Dec 2011, John Doe <> wrote in
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

    > I use speech for writing and automating Windows. I can do stuff in
    > half the time it takes you. I spent a decade playing with Windows
    > settings. If I wanted to explain how to do something, I would
    > provide a path. That's what we do in this technical help group.

    Apparently that super-duper-amazing technology is unable to help you
    read previous correct answers, press F1, search a Help file, right-
    click, use Google, schedule your bipolar disorder meds, or know
    something that almost every other Windows user has known for the past
    decade. It would, however leave both hands free for your internet porn
    activities, which I'm sure you take full advantage of.

    > That's what your mother says every time I whip it out...

    You're nothing if not predictable.

    Nil, Dec 18, 2011
  17. John Doe

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <4eecf963$0$2213$c3e8da3$> someone
    claiming to be John Doe <> typed:

    >Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of shit clock and
    >calendar utility.

    It's a useful clock, but a useless calendar. That's probably because
    it's not designed as a calendar, but rather, a way to set the date.

    Windows 7 has a popup calendar rather than re-purposing the set-date
    functionality.

    DevilsPGD, Dec 18, 2011
  18. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

    > John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

    >> I use speech for writing and automating Windows. I can do stuff
    >> in half the time it takes you. I spent a decade playing with
    >> Windows settings. If I wanted to explain how to do something, I
    >> would provide a path. That's what we do in this technical help
    >> group.

    > Apparently that super-duper-amazing technology

    Yes it is, Zero. And someone like you might someday be able to use
    it. But not until they make it extremely user friendly.

    > is unable to help you read previous correct answers, press F1,
    > search a Help file, right- click, use Google,

    I do not look for proof of your assertions, Zero.

    > schedule your bipolar disorder meds, or know something that
    > almost every other Windows user has known for the past decade.

    What's the path, Zero?

    > It would, however leave both hands free for your internet porn
    > activities, which I'm sure you take full advantage of.

    Your mother takes care of that, Zero, hands-free.

    >> That's what your mother says every time I whip it out...

    > You're nothing if not predictable.

    I'm better than you at using a PC, Zero.

    --

    news.glorb.com!feeder.erje.net!news-1.dfn.de!news.dfn.de!
    news.informatik.hu-berlin.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!
    individual.net!not-for-mail
    > From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    > Subject: Re: How to keep Windows clock accurate?
    > Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:02:15 -0500

    <de4qe7tq9933h5o9ckql7k8vq5ndjkq45r 4ax.com> <4eed1617$0$2326$c3e8da3
    $460562f1 news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBEB3F274F00nilch1 127.0.0.1>
    <4eed271c$0$28011$c3e8da3$12bcf670 news.astraweb.com>

    jSWV/kZetbgMFGuKiDs27QWOsp8irUHdxNEfWV3OsdSk41VtXV

    \IuTO++qOqVx0&Y.=z(B!:d?HNxL}yTuIS^5T8W\iGv_s'oSFfLp%X|naUNr

    John Doe, Dec 18, 2011
  19. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Hello AssTrophy.

    John Doe, Dec 18, 2011
  20. John Doe

    Nil Guest

    On 17 Dec 2011, John Doe <> wrote in
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

    > What's the path, Zero?

    The Path has already been revealed to you multiple times.

    But you remain blissfully ignorant...

    > I'm better than you at using a PC, Zero.

    Apparently not.

    Nil, Dec 18, 2011