How to keep Windows clock accurate?

anotherpaul

Wow, look at you "running circles other Windows users" again. I'm
impressed all over again!

Don't be impressed. He is lying again. The utility existed for years
& it also includes what it interprets as adjustments for the
transmission time; thought that the time utility may also allow the
user to do their own adjustments for the transmission & probably
allow for the microsecs to actually change the time display.

He's just lazy & don't want to google/yahoo/bing for any info
regarding "accurate" time.

John Doe

Nil said:
John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

The Path has already been revealed to you multiple times.

But you remain blissfully ignorant...

What is the message ID?
Apparently not.

You don't even know how to copy and paste.

John Doe

anotherpaul said:
Don't be impressed.

Don't be impressed by the fact that I type and automate my
computer by voice?
He is lying again.

That's not what your mother says.
The utility

Talking about the utility requested in the subject line?
existed for years & it also includes what it interprets as
adjustments for the transmission time; thought that the time
utility may also allow the user to do their own adjustments for
the transmission & probably allow for the microsecs to actually
change the time display.

I get the impression this turkey doesn't really know what's going
on. He might want to read some of the other posts.
He's just lazy & don't want to google/yahoo/bing for any info
regarding "accurate" time.

That cannot be necessary. I was just told that the path for
automatically adjusting the Windows Date and Time Properties
dialogue is in this thread.

Nil

What is the message ID?

Just "run some circles" - you're bound to find it.
You don't even know how to copy and paste.
Riiiiight.

I'm better than you at using a PC, Zero.

But obviously not good enough to know how to work your newsreader.

John Doe

It's your assertion, Zero, you provide the proof.

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: How to keep Windows clock accurate?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 23:48:09 -0500
References: <4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$88b277c5 news.astraweb.com> <de4qe7tq9933h5o9ckql7k8vq5ndjkq45r 4ax.com> <4eed1617$0$2326$c3e8da3$460562f1 news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBEB3F274F00nilch1 127.0.0.1> <4eed271c$0$28011$c3e8da3$12bcf670 news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBEC1A94A1D5nilch1 127.0.0.1> <4eed30dc$0$27878$c3e8da3$12bcf670 news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBECE26B1576nilch1 127.0.0.1> <4eed5caf$0$3988$c3e8da3$b23f186d news.astraweb.com>

What is the message ID?

Just "run some circles" - you're bound to find it.
You don't even know how to copy and paste.
Riiiiight.

I'm better than you at using a PC, Zero.

But obviously not good enough to know how to work your newsreader.

Davej

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

The problem I have with the built-in windows "automatically sync with
internet time server" is that it should have a setting that says to
ignore hours and just sync minutes and seconds.

Nil

It's your assertion, Zero, you provide the proof.

You're the one who wants the information, not me. It's already been
given to you on a platter. Since you think you "run circles around
other Windows users" you must be able to easily find it. Until then,
you remain blissfully ignorant.

John Doe

No, Zero. I am no longer messing with Windows Date and Time Properties.

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 01:13:46 -0500
References: <4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$88b277c5 news.astraweb.com> <de4qe7tq9933h5o9ckql7k8vq5ndjkq45r 4ax.com> <4eed1617$0$2326$c3e8da3$460562f1 news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBEB3F274F00nilch1 127.0.0.1> <4eed271c$0$28011$c3e8da3$12bcf670 news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBEC1A94A1D5nilch1 127.0.0.1> <4eed30dc$0$27878$c3e8da3$12bcf670 news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBECE26B1576nilch1 127.0.0.1> <4eed5caf$0$3988$c3e8da3$b23f186d news.astraweb.com> <Xns9FBEF2220187Bnilch1 127.0.0.1> <4eed7a24$0$19895$c3e8da3$92d0a893 news.astraweb.com>

It's your assertion, Zero, you provide the proof.

You're the one who wants the information, not me. It's already been
given to you on a platter. Since you think you "run circles around
other Windows users" you must be able to easily find it. Until then,
you remain blissfully ignorant.

SC Tom

Davej said:
The problem I have with the built-in windows "automatically sync with
internet time server" is that it should have a setting that says to
ignore hours and just sync minutes and seconds.

Then it wouldn't be syncing time :) If the hour is changing on you, then you have some other problem.

Man-wai Chang

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Use the built-in ntp client in Window$! Google "windows sync time"!

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

Mike Easter

Davej said:
The problem I have with the built-in windows "automatically sync with
internet time server" is that it should have a setting that says to
ignore hours and just sync minutes and seconds.

What do you mean?

- the term 'time' and the NTP time syntax includes the date UTC,
expressed in seconds since index timedate down to 200 picosec
- the responsibility for setting your local timezone choice correctly
or UTC lies with you
- the time server is not responsible for knowing what tz you are in
- the user is responsible for configuring which tz and yes/no daylight

John Doe

Mike Easter said:
What do you mean?

- the term 'time' and the NTP time syntax includes the date
UTC,

You need to spell out "UTC" the first time you use it.
- the user is responsible for configuring which tz and yes/no
daylight

Seems to me that Windows XP will (or has at some point in its
update history) erroneously increase or decrease the hour in
certain circumstances, probably having to do with daylight savings
time.

Mike Easter

John said:
Mike Easter

Seems to me that Windows XP will (or has at some point in its
update history) erroneously increase or decrease the hour in
certain circumstances, probably having to do with daylight savings
time.

The correct configuration for the operating system to recognize DST
(work that out, you're a big boy now) requires that the system be
properly updated for evolving changes in the timedate frame for the DST
interval for the specific geographic region.

If you don't take care of/ update/ your operating system's ability to
recognize when DST starts and stops properly, then it will change or not
change your localtime setting appropriately.

For Win98, I chose to turn off the function to adjust for DST and to do
it myself by flipping from Arizona time to Pacific time and back again
appropriately rather than applying an after-market patch.

Paul

Mike said:
The correct configuration for the operating system to recognize DST
(work that out, you're a big boy now) requires that the system be
properly updated for evolving changes in the timedate frame for the DST
interval for the specific geographic region.

If you don't take care of/ update/ your operating system's ability to
recognize when DST starts and stops properly, then it will change or not
change your localtime setting appropriately.

For Win98, I chose to turn off the function to adjust for DST and to do
it myself by flipping from Arizona time to Pacific time and back again
appropriately rather than applying an after-market patch.

This is what I used for Win2K, to correct the DST settings when
Microsoft stopped providing updates. This page claims that
tzedit doesn't work for WinXP.

http://www.soc.duke.edu/resources/timezone/timezone.html

http://www.soc.duke.edu/resources/timezone/edit_time_zone.jpg

That seemed to work out for me, while I was still using Win2K regularly.

*******

And there is a lengthy article here, if you want to play with DST.
Including, near the bottom, mention of tzedit. That's probably easier,
than making some huge .reg file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387

There is also the option, of simply opening tzedit and examining
the rules currently in the registry, without making any changes.
Just to see how messed up it is.

Paul

Mike Easter

Paul said:
This is what I used for Win2K, to correct the DST settings when
Microsoft stopped providing updates. This page claims that
tzedit doesn't work for WinXP.

(I thought) XPsp3 doesn't need tzedit because MS is still updating its
DST function, with the caveats for the tz/s in the kb article you cited.
And there is a lengthy article here, if you want to play with DST.
Including, near the bottom, mention of tzedit. That's probably easier,
than making some huge .reg file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387

There is also the option, of simply opening tzedit and examining
the rules currently in the registry, without making any changes.
Just to see how messed up it is.

My understanding of kb 914387 is that 'normally' (with the exception of
the odd tz/s mentioned in 914387 or if something got b0rken in the
registry) that the OSes listed which include XPsp3 which still get MS
updates, should 'expect' that the normal updates of the DST tweaks
should suffice to keep DST working properly for almost everyone except
those in funky tz/s or with registry errors/corruption.

Paul

Mike said:
(I thought) XPsp3 doesn't need tzedit because MS is still updating its
DST function, with the caveats for the tz/s in the kb article you cited.

My understanding of kb 914387 is that 'normally' (with the exception of
the odd tz/s mentioned in 914387 or if something got b0rken in the
registry) that the OSes listed which include XPsp3 which still get MS
updates, should 'expect' that the normal updates of the DST tweaks
should suffice to keep DST working properly for almost everyone except
those in funky tz/s or with registry errors/corruption.

But for those people who absolutely "must be different", it
provides a means for them to make adjustments. There are
some people who won't take Service Packs and won't take
security updates (yes, there are people like that). For
them, tzedit is ideal.

TZedit and a tinfoil hat, and you're all set.

Paul

Mike Easter

John said:
anotherpaul

Nope. I just keep track of nym-shifting trolls like you.

So what is it supposed to mean when someone disagrees with you and you
copy and paste their message headers?

Does that mean "Don't mess (disagree) with me or I'll paste your headers
in my message?"

Or does the pasting of those headers into a sent message facilitate your
ability to 'reflect' back in your Sent message stores to aid in the
recall of some earlier conversation you had with someone who disagreed?