How to keep files offline

Richard

Hi

I would like to know how I can keep files offline until I choose to sync
them, this would be through multiple reboots as well.

Basically, I connect to the office through a VPN, from many office LAN's/the
internet and I get frustrated with having to keep switch to work offline.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Morgan che

Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

From your description, I understand you want to manually set the sync time
of offline files to avoid keeping switch to work offline. If I
misunderstood, please let me know.

Typically, Windows will automatically sync the offline files after we
complete the modification of offline files. In the beginning, I suspect
this behavior might be modified through Group Policy. Accordingly, I search
all the offline file related group policy under the following paths and
conclude no such item allows us to alter this behavior.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files

However, in a bright side, we can configure the Sync Schedule to customize
the sync time in Windows Vista operating system as following:

In Control Panel, click Network and Internet, and then click Sync Center.
Please select one Offline Files under Folders tab and click Schedule.

Select the items you want to sync on this schedule and click Next. After
that, you will see two options which you can choose: At a schedule time or
On an event or action.

If you select At a scheduled time, you can manually set a schedule for the
time to sync. If you select On an event or action, the events or actions
you selected will automatically sync "Offline Files". For example, we can
define to sync offline files when logging on computer or locking
computer.You can select one of the above two options to customize Sync time
according to your requirement.

Here is some information for your reference:

What's New in Offline Files for Windows Vista
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/f/?en/library/bb819260-0fdc-4003-
bc23-04beac2108bd1033.mspx

Understanding offline files
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/93a550df-34cd-4497-85d0-
8732602f59591033.mspx

I hope this helps. Have a good day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
--->Subject: How to keep files offline
--->Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:57:43 +0200
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
--->
--->Hi
--->
--->I would like to know how I can keep files offline until I choose to
sync
--->them, this would be through multiple reboots as well.
--->
--->Basically, I connect to the office through a VPN, from many office
LAN's/the
--->internet and I get frustrated with having to keep switch to work
offline.
--->
--->Can anyone help?
--->
--->Thanks
--->
--->

Morgan che

Hi,

How are you?

I am writing to see if you have any update about this post. If you
encounter any break/fix issue, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day!
Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: (e-mail address removed) (Morgan che(MSFT))
--->Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:33:42 GMT
--->Subject: RE: How to keep files offline
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
--->
--->Hi,
--->
--->Thanks for posting here.
--->
--->From your description, I understand you want to manually set the sync
time
[...]
--->Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
--->
--->Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
--->=====================================================
--->When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
--->that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
--->=====================================================
--->This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
--->
--->
--->--------------------
--->--->Reply-To: "Richard" <[email protected]>
--->--->From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
--->--->Subject: How to keep files offline
--->--->Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:57:43 +0200
--->--->Lines: 12
--->--->Message-ID: <[email protected]>
--->--->MIME-Version: 1.0
--->--->Content-Type: text/plain;
--->---> format=flowed;
--->---> charset="iso-8859-1";
--->---> reply-type=original
--->--->Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--->--->X-Priority: 3
--->--->X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
--->--->X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
--->--->X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6001.18000
--->--->X-MS-CommunityGroup-MessageCategory:
--->{E4FCE0A9-75B4-4168-BFF9-16C22D8747EC}
--->--->X-MS-CommunityGroup-PostID: {E61AE8FF-24C4-4E66-A89E-3D3CD97E5FC4}
--->--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
--->--->Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
--->--->Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
--->microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:295956
--->--->NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl 127.0.0.1
--->--->X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
--->--->
--->--->