How to identify disk IO intensive process?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Performance' started by james, Nov 19, 2009.

  1. james

    james Guest

    I was playing a simple board game backgammon (no disk IO, no net traffic)
    while my hard drive suddenly start to have a flurry of activity like a virus
    scanner is running or something.

    During this time, the system is sluggish. When I ctrl-alt-del nothing
    happens for half a minute and then an error dialog box something about login
    ID. The screen stopped refreshing for another few seconds, then I
    ctrl-alt-del again and this time got the task manager.

    I closed all apps and killed many processes I can see, but still the disk
    activity goes on. There are only about 8 process left -- window explorer,
    taskmgr.exe, taskeng.exe, rundll32.exe, ...

    All processes except idle has 0% cpu time.

    I have also turned off auto update, turned off auto virus scanning, etc.
    I unplugged network cable, I logged off -- no help.

    I logged back on. After a few more minutes the activities stopped.

    This is driving me mad. I don't like the hard drive having a lot of activity
    when I'm not initiating any disk IO.

    Is there a tool that would tell me what process (could be a hidden one) is
    generating the disk IO next time it happens?

    james, Nov 19, 2009

  2. james

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,