How to delete IE6 icon from 98SE desktop?

Clueless in Seattle

I recently upgraded from IE5.5 to IE6 and ended up with an IE6 icon on my
desktop.

I prefer to keep a clear desktop and so I tried deleting the squatter, but
it refuses to budge.

What's the trick to persuading it to clear off my desktop?

DVarnau

From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced Uncheck "Show Internet Explorer
on the desktop."

Don

Clueless in Seattle

DVarnau said:
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced Uncheck "Show Internet Explorer
on the desktop."

Thanks for pointing me top that obscure setting. I never would have
found it on my own (though now I do vaguely remember someone sending
me there once before a long while ago).

I just checked and the "Show Internet Explorer on the desktop" box is
already unchecked.

But, still, when I right click on the IE desktop icon, and then click
"Delete," and then answer "Yes" to the question: "Are you sure you
want to delete 'Internet Explorer' from you desktop?" the icon
stubbornly remains on my desktop.

What gives?

DVarnau

Well... how clueless are you? <G> Familiar with REGEDIT?

Run REGEDIT and navigate to this key (Win98 & ME- I'm not sure about Win2K)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\
explorer\Desktop\NameSpace]
Namespace items will be sub-keys of that. Select each and the data in the
right pane will tell you what it is.
Export the NameSpace key, as a backup, then delete the IE subkey, if it's
listed there.

If it's not there or it disappears but returns, check MSCONFIG> Startup for
a program that might be recreating it.

Hope this helps,
Don

"DVarnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced Uncheck "Show Internet Explorer
on the desktop."