How to connect a HP Laserjet 1100 to a notebook PC?

Quatral

I have a years-old HP Laserjet 1100. I know it has a standard
printer port that connects to the parallel port on PC. I don't
know if it has other built-in ports. Now I want to print from my
notebook, which doesn't have a parallel port, but does have USB
and Firewire. Is it possible to do some hook-up so I can print
to this printer from my laptop?

Alex B

Is it networked to the pc the printer is connected to? If so it's easy.
Just share the printer on the pc, and then add the printer in as a networked
printer on the laptop.

SleeperMan

Alex B typed:
Is it networked to the pc the printer is connected to? If so it's
easy. Just share the printer on the pc, and then add the printer in
as a networked printer on the laptop.

or in the case if this is the only one PC, buying a router with print server
and connecting PC and printer to it is one of the options. (So small network
with one PC is created)

ChrisJ9876

From: "SleeperMan" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 07/03/2004 11:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Alex B typed:

or in the case if this is the only one PC, buying a router with print server
and connecting PC and printer to it is one of the options. (So small network
with one PC is created)

Much simpler - get a parallel to USB adapter - they're made just for that
purpose - to connect a parallel printer to a USB port. 40 bucks at OfficeMax.

SleeperMan

ChrisJ9876 typed:
Much simpler - get a parallel to USB adapter - they're made just for
that purpose - to connect a parallel printer to a USB port. 40 bucks
at OfficeMax.

Except data speed can be too slow - if printer has it's own memory, it's OK,
but some of them use PC's memory, so data transfer has to be fast enough.

JT

ChrisJ9876 typed:

Except data speed can be too slow - if printer has it's own memory, it's OK,
but some of them use PC's memory, so data transfer has to be fast enough.

Considering that USB is several times faster than parallel printer ports
are capable of, that shouldn't be a problem.

JT