How do I shut off 'reveal codes' in Word?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Jan 31, 2006.

    I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
    how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

    Guest, Jan 31, 2006
    AlishaJane likes this.

  2. If you see field codes such as {EMBED}, {HYPERLINK}, etc., then
    press Alt+F9 to turn off display of field codes.

    If you see non-printing characters such as paragraph marks, dots
    between words, etc., then see
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm .

    garfield-n-odie, Jan 31, 2006
    AlishaJane likes this.

    If you're referring to non-printing characters, click on the paragraph symbol
    on your toolbar and it will turn them off or go to Tools | Options | View |
    Formatting marks and deselect them.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2006

    gordo Guest

    "fgetulio" <> wrote in message
    >I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't
    >know
    > how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

    There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task Pane
    option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another reply, that
    you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the Standard Tool Bar.
    This only displays non-printing characters used for some formatting tasks.

    Gordo

    gordo, Feb 1, 2006

    Aaron Guest

    "Reveal Codes" is in WordPerfect, and is something Word should have. With
    it, it is easy to control formatting and saves a huge amount of time and
    effort.
    Aaron

    Aaron, May 21, 2008

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Given that Word does not use 'codes' to format the document, but is style
    based, revealing non-existent 'codes' might be difficult to achieve!

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, May 22, 2008

    radiodave Guest

    To turn off the display of field codes such as {xe "Index entry"},
    {HYPERLINK}, etc.,

    * In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office Button > Word Options > Display
    > Hidden Text and/or Show All Formatting Marks.

    * In earlier versions of Word, select Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text
    and/or All.

    Note both have other check boxes for paragraph marks etc. as mentioned below.

    Alt-F9 only toggles between text and field codes for field codes that are
    normally dispalyed as text, like page numbers, linked graphics, and table of
    contents. Alt-F9 doesn't display or hide hidden field codes like index
    entries that don't have any text to display. It would be nice if there was a
    keyboard shortcut to turn toggle those hidden entries.

    radiodave, Aug 29, 2008
  8. Only XE and TC fields are formatted as Hidden. HYPERLINK is an ordinary
    field code.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Aug 29, 2008

    Graham Mayor Guest

    You can toggle hidden text with a macro attached to a keyboard shortcut

    Sub ShowHidden()
    With ActiveWindow.View
    .ShowHiddenText = Not .ShowHiddenText
    .ShowAll = False
    End With
    End Sub

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Aug 30, 2008
  10. Although the question is old, I will still answer it because it might help
    someone else who is looking for it. There IS an option in Word 2007 to show
    or hide field codes, which I think is what this asker is looking for. It can
    be fixed by clicking on the Windows logo on the top left, then go to Word
    options, the Advanced, then under "Show document content" remove the
    checkmark from "Show field codes instead of their values".
    Good luck!

    JungleJaneBelize, Apr 10, 2009
  11. I suspect what the user is actually asking about is nonprinting characters,
    which are toggled with the Show/Hide ¶ button in Word 2007 as in previous
    versions. It's in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    "JungleJaneBelize" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Apr 10, 2009

    amberwolf Guest

    Thank you! I've being going crazy trying to find where this option was in
    Word 2007!

    amberwolf, Apr 21, 2009

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Alternatively, you can use Alt+F9.