    available with macrons (-) over them... is there a method of inserting a
    macron over any letter of the alphabet in a similar manner in which one
    would, say, type CTRL + ATL +' to insert an acute accent over "e"?

    Guest, Oct 16, 2006

    Joe McGuire Guest

    Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter. There is a great MVP paper on this
    at
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm.

    See KB Article 269750 for other details, including references to the Visual
    Keyboard. Note that this may be for Word 2000 but it works in later
    versions as well.

    Joe McGuire, Oct 16, 2006

  3. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm .

    garfield-n-odie [MVP], Oct 16, 2006

    Opinicus Guest

    "Joe McGuire" <> wrote

    > Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter.

    Actually that gives you a squiggle over the letter, not a macron.

    --
    Bob
    http://www.kanyak.com

    Opinicus, Oct 16, 2006
  5. The "squiggle" is called a tilde.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Oct 16, 2006

    del Guest

    "Joe McGuire" wrote:

    > Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter.

    But this gives you a CAPITAL letter N with the tilde, not a small n. A
    capitol n with tilde is rarely needed. I used to be able to do this function
    quickly, but Microsoft in its continuing quest for making it more difficult
    to do (or find instructions for) simple things, seems to have changed the
    method. Especially regarding 2007. To have to go searching for an article
    explaining how to do such simple things as this is ludicrous. The
    instructions under Special Characters is very bundlesome and non-direct.

    del, May 16, 2009

    grammatim Guest

    On May 15, 8:22 pm, del <> wrote:
    > "Joe McGuire" wrote:
    > > Try Ctrl+Shift+~, then press the letter.

    > But this gives you a CAPITAL letter N with the tilde, not a small n.

    Only if you are still holding the shift key when you type the n.

    > capitol n with tilde is rarely needed.  I used to be able to do this function
    > quickly, but Microsoft in its continuing quest for making it more difficult
    > to do (or find instructions for) simple things, seems to have changed the
    > method. Especially regarding 2007.  To have to go searching for an article
    > explaining how to do such simple things as this is ludicrous.   The
    > instructions under Special Characters is very bundlesome and non-direct.

    The typing of the basic accented letters has not changed one bit
    between W2003 and W2007.

    grammatim, May 16, 2009