How do I move to a bigger system?

orokusan

I'm building a new pc as I've outgrown this one.M want to move everything
from this hdd over to the new one but all I have from the original build is
the product key sticker.could install both drives in with this drive as the
master but everything else is new, motherboard and all. Will this work?My new
hdd is 1.5t and this is 500g.I really dont want to re-tweek another copy of
xp or vista this is just right.Thanks for any help and GOD Bless

smlunatick

I'm building a new pc as I've outgrown this one.M want to move everything
from this hdd over to the new one but all I have from the original build is
the product key sticker.could install both drives in with this drive as the
master but everything else is new, motherboard and all. Will this work?Mynew
hdd is 1.5t and this is 500g.I really dont want to re-tweek another copy of
xp or vista this is just right.Thanks for any help and GOD Bless

Bigger hard drive or better PC????

If you want to replace the 500 GB with a larger one, you will need to
locate a disk cloning software such as Acronis True Image. This type
of software will "copy" the existing 500 GB installed XP to the 1.5 TB
hard drive, while also expanding the partitions.

NOTE: Backups are very important when do this as any "disk partition"
change always have a "small" chance of loosing data.

Daave

orokusan said:
I'm building a new pc as I've outgrown this one.M want to move
everything from this hdd over to the new one but all I have from the
original build is the product key sticker.could install both drives
in with this drive as the master but everything else is new,
motherboard and all. Will this work?My new hdd is 1.5t and this is
500g.I really dont want to re-tweek another copy of xp or vista this
is just right.Thanks for any help and GOD Bless

Do you have a Retail or OEM license?

DL

Assuming the key sticker is on a label on the PC, then it means its an OEM
version and as such is not transferable to a new PC/Hardware
If it was a retail version, at the very least you would need to do a repair
installation of the o/s in order to install the new drivers

nesredep egrob

Assuming the key sticker is on a label on the PC, then it means its an OEM
version and as such is not transferable to a new PC/Hardware
If it was a retail version, at the very least you would need to do a repair
installation of the o/s in order to install the new drivers
You do well following the device regarding Acronis - I have just moved from a
dud 200 GB to a 500 GB - no trouble at all and using a clone like that you are
also transferring the MS connection.

B|rge in sunny Perth, Australia

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: How do I move to a bigger system?
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 16:51:37 -0700

You need to format your hd and reinstall windows.

Another post by a unethical hack impersonating me - do not follow the
advice of PCBUTTS.

db ´¯`·.. >

how can we be sure
you're not the imposter?