Move Steam to new drive

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Which is the best way to move Steam etc to a new drive ? My PC has a 250GB SSD and a 1TB drive. Everything installs to the SSD by default and after installing only a few games on Steam the SSD is nearly full and I want to keep it just for the OS.

I tried this method in the past on my old PC and everything went wrong.
Would deleting all the games and Steam via Programs and Features and then installing the lot again not be a better idea ?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I just used the 'more thorough' method at the bottom of the page you linked to, worked fine for me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've moved my Steam installation several times using the method linked to in first post, deleting all files except steamapps and steam.exe etc.

The first three times went without a hitch but when I used that method after changing my main hard drive the last time I encountered several errors.

So when I changed to Win 10 from Win 7 I wiped the Steam folder and just reinstalled only the games I knew I was definitely going to play. This freed me up a lot of hard disk space cos I sure have bought a lot of old tosh on Steam.

But unless you can be bothered to trace just where every savegame is stored for every game, it's almost certain you'll lose some saved games using that method. I did.

One of these days I may compile a list of Steam games I think should be avoided. Mebbe.

Ask a Question