Hover Buttons from FrontPage won't display in IE6

We recently put up our new web site using MS FrontPage 2000 with Network
Solutions as our web host. We use FrontPage's hover buttons for our page
selections on the home page and elsewhere in the site. Some users only see an
"X" where the hover buttons should be, and therefore cannot link to the pages
in this way. Internet Explorer version 6 with SP2 under Windows XP
Professional has so far been identified as showing this problem, but only
some IE6 users have the problem.

I'd appreciate your input to help us fix this. We could either change our
site selection process, or preferably put a message on the page to show users
what they need to adjust download, etc. to fix the display. I'd think others
would be having this problem also, so is there maybe something we could do
within FrontPage?

Don Varnau

Hi,
I would offer this advice to users who can't see the hover buttons.

1. Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete files
(and delete offline content when that dialog pops up)
2. Go to Internet Options> Security. Select Internet Zone and click on
Default Level.
3. Place your site in Trusted Sites zone. Go to Internet Options> Security.
Select trusted Sites> Sites. Uncheck "Require server verification (https)
for all sites in this zone. Enter your site as "*.website.com" (without the
quotes.)
4. Check third-party security programs, toolbars, ad-blockers, etc. to see
if one of them is blocking JavaScript, scripts, scripting, active content.
5. Reinstall the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Windows Script 5.6

Much of this advice is in this article:
Zone: Error Message or Nothing Happens When You Click a Web Link

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Carl" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Jon Kennedy

I believe FP's hover buttons require Java, so if a user doesn't have Java
installed or has it disabled, those buttons won't work. I would use
scripting for animated buttons on your page. See:
http://www.webworkshop.org/frontpage/hover_buttons.htm
http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/articles/fp_hover/hover_buttons.html -
see the "other considerations" section
I've seen where FP2003 has removed Java hover buttons as an option due to
problems such as you've run into.

This might be an alternative for you:
http://www.xp-web-buttons.com/webbuttons/hover_button_frontpage.html
The HTML of scripted hover buttons: